Radio Shack Pre-Order Experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunger, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

Just curious if anyone else pre-ordered through Radio Shack...

I went in at 8:30am this morning ( little to no wait ) and the local store manager was a bit confused on the process as it apparently changed late last night. Here is the story I received:

- $50 prepay is not required

- Apple has limited supply for 3rd party retailers. He said Radio Shacks as a company was limited to 40,000 phones and Best Buy will be limited to 20,000. Obviously, I doubt the integrity of those numbers but may be some truth in the limited supply.

- Radio Shack won't know which preorders will be confirmed until 12:55pm this afternoon, when they "submit" the orders to Apple

Basically, they took my name and address information and created a "suspended" order in their system. At 12:55pm, this order will be submitted to Apple and a PIN # will be issued for each preorder. He could also not guarantee that I will actually receive one. He also indicated that the phone choice ( ie., 16GB vs 32GB ) was not required, though I told him I wanted the 32GB.

I went ahead and put my name on the list and if I don't get one ( he is going to call around 1pm ), I will order one through Apple online.

My main reason for putting up with the confusion is because I am switching from Verizon, wanted to be face-to-face with someone who will handle the account switch, and didn't want to stand in line at my local AT&T store.

So I guess we'll see...

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they eliminated the $50 prepayment because they can't guarantee that preorders will be filled....

4. yankintx macrumors 6502

The moron at the newtown pa store had no idea about them even selling the Iphone4. How the heck does radio Shack stay in business??

5. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I stopped in my store on Sunday and talked to 2 of the guys and they were very knowledgeable on the entire process. Unfortunately, the game changed for them yesterday and even the store manager was not in the loop today...

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that was known. However, someone on here was also fighting everyone by saying that he/she called three different RadioShack's and they are were giving people who pre-ordered serial numbers of their actual phone. I said that can not be true for several reasons.

If I were you, I would rather have my name on a list that can guarantee me an iPhone, than to take that chance and end up with nothing.

7. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I know... if I don't hear from them around 1, I will call to confirm and then order from the Apple Store....

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Radio Shack is one of the worst retailers around. If you choose to do business with them on this, I wish you luck.

Personally, I don't trust them to get any phones at any reasonable date. I'm going with the Apple store.

9. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Personally, I have two RadioShack's around me. One is in an actual mall and the other in a shopping center. They never have anyone in them. I had to go into one once due to a specific GPS only being sold there.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The guy I went to was very helpful, but not very in the know about what was going on. He did his best to help, and after everything it came about that they are reserving them, but not doing pre-orders. At any rate, I'm doing mine at Radio Shack because I'm trading in my 3GS and that will save me $200.

My guess is that it's more to do with Apple than Radio Shack.... they are probably changing things last minute.

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm sure Best Buy will have only half of what radio shack has! hahaha I hate salesmen like these.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

By the way, for those who don't know. Radio Shack employees work on serious commission. They get basically minimum wage, and the rest of their check is commission.

They don't train employees to know their stuff, they train them to be good salesmen. The biggest commission for them comes from selling phones. They also don't get as big of a commission from the iPhone as from other phones.

If you go in there looking for a simple cable, you will most likely be pressured into buying more, upgrading your phone, etc.

Just sharing some info.

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I could sell your 3GS on Craigslist for $300 in about one hour, just so you know.

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

15. Alxvasqz12 macrumors member

Radio shack

I called my radio shack and the guy accesed my account and he said they were doing reservations and he took my info and he said i will be the first one to get one from that store! White iPhone 32GB he says he thinks hes gonna have them and if not he will give me a black one:D

16. Fast duck macrumors member

17. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

My local store just called me and said that my "preorder reservation" has been confirmed. I asked if that meant I would definitely get it on June 24th and he said they cannot guarantee that. Basically, they are most likely getting some number of some kind of iPhones in ( he didn't know if they would be 16gb, 32gb, or combination ) and if they do get them in, I am 2nd on the list to get one.

I asked about accessories and they didn't have any information.

So... assuming I can still get a preorder through the Apple Store, I am going that route and cancelling the Radio Shack "preorder" - just too many unknowns.

For those of you saying you are getting a white one, Radio Shack doesn't know what they are getting and I would HIGHLY doubt they are getting you a product that no one else has available...

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They did call me back and verify that I wanted 32GB black and also took my home address, which they did not do in the store. The fact that the guy just wrote my name on a blank piece of paper but bothered to call later is promising, at the very least.

19. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, they confirmed that with me also.

And an update: I STILL haven't been able to order through the Apple Store, so I might just have to sit tight and hope the Shack comes through for me...

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I think Radio Shack will get them in, as will Best Buy, on launch day. It would be pretty bad PR to take reservations, pre-orders, etc. and not deliver on launch day. If there was any doubt, they should've just stayed out of the loop until the hype dies down. I'm pretty sure they'll get them on launch day.

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I Skipped RS because they told me they can't sell me an iP4 unless i either, Add a line or am elgible for an upgrade.

22. salsageek macrumors newbie

Just got back from a Radio Shack and they told me they couldn't get anything entered into the system because all units have been accounted for since east coast gets to enter them first so by the time PST hits noon everything was frozen. I am bummed since I want to trade in my wife's 3g 8GB for $100. Don't want to deal with Ebay or CL.

23. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

That's not how it worked. Reservations for /all/ RadioShack stores in the country started at 12 CDT (10 AM your time), which caused a giant cluster because every store started hitting it at the same time.

I spent an hour and a half in the store, but finally got the two reservations that I needed.

24. Built macrumors 68020

Very true. I haven't gone into a Radioshack store since 1999 when I was buying my first cell, and the high-pressure tactics the salesperson was using sent me headed straight for the door.

I felt like he was trying to sell me a used car.

25. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

for thoes people who THINK they got a white iphone. you are sadly mistaken .. what makes you think radio shack is going to have white iphones when APPLE and ATT themselves arnt even selling them.. ?? RS employees are misinformed and spreading misinformation to customers ..