Radio Shack trying to push SGS3 on me today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tensiondeadache, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tensiondeadache macrumors regular

This was so funny I just have to share it. So I went to the Apple Store at 9:50 am, an employee walked out front where I was waiting and stated there were no iPhones. Oh well, so I go do the rest of my shopping. In the same strip mall as Whole Foods is a Radio Shack, so I figure why not.

I walk in and ask if any iPhone 5's are in stock. An employee says no and asks which carrier I want, I say AT&T. She then goes into a half-baked sales pitch for the Galaxy S3, which is sitting right next to us on the display stand. "So what is about the iPhone you like, are you just a Mac person? Well, this one is more durable....its more savvy if you're a tech type person".

Obviously, the memo bullet points have gone out-try to push the GS3 on customers asking about iPhones, but "its more savvy, if you're a tech person", SNL couldn't produce a satire of Android propoganda more hilarious. Maybe you had to be there.

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

it's because they make money off of android rather than iPhones. with iPhones they MIGHT get comission however they can sell you android phones and make money from them. Correct me if I'm wrong, and the more durable thing was funny haha the bigger the screen the bigger chances of it cracking. Plus you drop it on the back and the back flies off and the battery might pop out, restarting your phone.

3. acidflame macrumors member

this is the best laugh ive gotten in weeks....Thank you op:) Yes they really do try and do that hardcore android pushing crap....its like a drug dealer on the street I swear

----------

VZW actually did it to me when I was going to get my 4s originally...they pushed the PIECE OF CRAP Bionic on me which was even 100 more than the 4s at the time.....They need to care more about their customer before pushing piece of crap phones onto them.

I cant wait for the nexus campaign where they push even harder with the 2gb of ram bullcrap

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Not to bust your bubble, but an S3 is a lot more customisable then an iphone 5. Techy nerds tend to prefer android for this reason. The Iphone is a much more premium feeling handset. These are simple facts when it comes to ios v Android.

5. alexander25 macrumors regular

same thing happens in canada.

they know iPhone's sell themselves, they need to push these android phones because they're much harder to sell.

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I actually bought the Bionic. Worse phone ever.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

No way. you went into a store and tried to buy something they didnt have in stock, then they tried to sell you something that they had on hand?

I am shocked, how could a retail establishment try and sell you something today, instead of waiting for tomorrow. They clearly dont know how to do business.

8. acidflame macrumors member

Android is more customizeable.....What use is that even if it is a fact? Why do we need all those fancy widgets for anyways?

Just coming from android over to the iphone 5 and ios is like a nightmare ending in heaven....

I will go back to android in a heart beat if they make better quality phones, better apps, better customer support. I walked into the genius bar and they replaced my iphone 5 because they didnt want me having the camera issue again even though they fixed the first one....thats customer service!

I just dont know what good the tweaking on android is actually good for except maybe OCD. At the end of the day you really get nothing from it.....At least I didnt. At least with apple I know that Im going to get updates and I dont have to hack my phone for it to run as good as possible:)

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

the iPhones are the only phones that sells like hotcakes lol what Samsung did with the S3 in 4 months(who knows if they actually sold all those phones or just counted up the shipments it sent out) with many ads the iPhone did 1/4th that much in the first few hours it got set-up for pre-orders and almost no advertising costs, people advertise for them.

10. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

ROFL GS3 - good type. What junk.

11. darster Suspended

Apple only counts phones sold, all the android makers count those that are shipped. Huge difference.

12. alnova1 macrumors member

alnova1

I came back to the iPhone for the 5...I say came back, I'm a phone junkie. I like IOS and Android. I keep both now and as long as I can I will. My iPhone is my main phone and I have an EVO LTE that I flashed to Verizon prepaid so when I get in areas that AT&T has no signal, I will have one. I work in rural areas sometimes and AT&T doesn't cut it.

13. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I see because in total I have only seen maybe what about 3 people with an s3 in person and at least 50 with an iPhone. In my school alone at least 40% has an iPhone ipod touch or iPad

----------

wow Samsung really does try to steal some ideas from Apple, most companies do but Samsung just does it more lol.
    http://mashable.com/2012/08/23/samsung-copy-apple-store/
    Look at that, wtf Samsung this is just borderline obsession now.

14. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

15. tensiondeadache thread starter macrumors regular

It was the way she immediately invoked the S3 with canned talking points. The phone wouldn't be "savvy", the user would, right? I guess you really had to be there.

16. anom macrumors newbie

Wow, fanboy heaven in here.

There are valid reasons to choose a GS3 over an iPhone 5. I've been on both platforms multiple times, and had a difficult time making the choice. I went with the iPhone this time, doesn't mean I won't switch back.

17. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

You mean fanboys on an iPhone forum on a Mac site? Bring out the shotguns!

18. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

They're probably required to give the sales pitch. It's so uncomfortable having to do that. I always enjoy it when people say, "I'm required to give you a speech or I'll get in trouble. Can I give you a speech on the Samsung phone and can you pretend to listen?"

No, seriously. That happens. I stay and listen.

19. tensiondeadache thread starter macrumors regular

I had gone to the same one a week earlier and there was no Samsung sales pitch that time. That time, Radio Shack's website said that the store had the iPhone 5 in stock, and there was a big red "iPhone 5 in stock" sign on the front door, and they didn't have it.

Almost as if they're using the iPhone to lure people into their store...

20. vertigomhs macrumors member

Having a friend who worked for radioshack, he told me that iphones are what get you the most commission, so this person was just trying to sell anything. that or they're required to give their pitch.

21. nharrietha macrumors member

When [if] Android steps up their design and actually updates a phone more then once, not 6 months after the release either; that's ridiculous, I might consider an Android. iOS 6 was a disappointment, but hey, it's on every device since the 3GS. How's Jellybean on the GS3 or any other device that isn't a Nexus device? Oh... wait. :eek:

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Everyone should know by now these "the sales person tried to sell me" threads are nothing more than average experiences with minimum wage workers. Why people are so easily amused is rather odd.

23. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

That's a tad disrespectful. You're generalizing minimum wage workers as if they don't know anything.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I use to manage a shack. We paid less for high end Android phones and they go on contract for the same price so less money is lost in subsidies. Therefore the employee gets a larger commission. Makes sense right? You make the company more money and you get paid more....ie commission ...

Verizon is very hardcore about this. Just look at there web page or retail stores, Android on the top or in the front and iPhone on the bottom or in the back...

[​IMG]

Look at the descriptions, then "Find the iPhone that fits you best." Lol

25. darster Suspended

The phandroids on this forum or the RS reps?