Radio Shack Will NOT Be Opening Early Launch Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ugp, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Just to note, my buddy that is a Manager at my local store was just informed through there iPhone Launch Center that they are not being autorized to open early due to stricted Inventory levels. They do not want to give the wrong impression to customers for opening early on these low levels of product.

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

The radioshack I am going to is going to be open at 7AM local time, which is the same as the apple store there

3. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

Then they are doing it against Radio Shacks orders and I am sure they will get in trouble. The DM is suppose to make sure of this. My buddy was already contacted by his DM to ensure this.

4. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

This makes sense. They said on their twitter site that the people who reserved and/or got PINs will have first dibs on the phones. They probably will have nothing left for walk ins after they hand out reserved ones.

5. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

Don't count on any extra Inventory. They will only hold the Reserved phones for so long and then they will move down the list to the next person. Now they haven't stated how long they will hold them for but the Evo's they held 48 hours and then sold them to someone else.

6. r2b2007 macrumors regular

In Orlando some are opening early and some will have inventory to sell that is not reserved. Check with several stores if you have them. Many are very helpful.

7. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

There has been no official word of this communicated from Corp though. So the employees are assuming this and may not be true.

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Radio Shack stores are very independently-operated. I don't doubt that your store is not opening early, but anyone else planning to go to one should definitely call and find out.

And no, they won't "get in trouble". Besides, even if they do get in trouble for opening early, if they open early, YOU WANT TO BE THERE, so make sure you call them.

9. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Have any of the stores that you've spoken to received shipments? Which stores have you dealt with?

10. BLee17 macrumors member

Has anyone received even an ESTIMATE of phone stock?

I'm #21 on a reserve list and the wait is killing me! Too low to be sure, but high enough for a good chance. Any word?

11. puggles macrumors regular

My radio shack is expecting 3-5 iPhones and might not even have them on the 24th

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I think the estimate for any other stores won't help you much. It will probably be based on store volume in general, so stores with lower sales will get fewer phones. They won't just distribute them evenly. RS doesn't work that way.

For example, the store my friend manages doesn't have ANY current iPhones in stock at any time. They can order one and get it for you quickly, but they don't carry any in the store, because they are such a low volume store. This makes me think the chances of my friend getting any extra stock are very low, which sucks, because he was going to hold one for me.

13. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

My district here received their phones today...

Out of 68 PINs generated, only 11 phones were sent. Only to 4 stores and one of the stores that received the most phones did not even generate P any PINs. System was screwed up like I thought it would be with Radio Shack.

Out of the 11 phones 10 are 16GB and 1 32GB. The store that generated the most PINs did not receive any phones at all.

Anyone shocked... I know I am not being I worked for Radio Shack for 7 years.

14. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Oh dear. This is what I was afraid of.

15. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Just got off the phone with my store. They aren't getting a single phone. Not one.. of any size.

16. ugp thread starter macrumors 65816

ugp

I knew it was going to happen. This is why I did not get my hopes up. I wasn't able to get a Pre-Order to go through on Apple.com so RS was my back-up and it failed. All well. I will wait patiently I guess until more stock is available else where.

17. sampdoria macrumors regular

radio shack already has my iphone!

the radio shack where I got a pin from already has my iphone! the manager showed it to me behind a locked cage in the back room, but didn't let me take a photo, otherwise he'd get in serious trouble. he was only able to get mine (32GB black) but not my wife's (16GB white- no surprise there). I have a 16GB black reserved at the apple store for my wife, just for this outcome. So I will have to make two trips on launch day- the apple store first for my wife's, and then RS right after for mine. the RS manager said their store will open normal hours 8:30am, and he will hold mine until friday. He told me he got 8 out of 9 iphone pin requests, my wife's white was the 9th, and no extras. While other local RS stores only got 2 or 3 out of 20 pin requests. He thinks the other stores didn't process the pins properly. So far RS has been pretty good to me- gave me a $50 gift card for the hassle of getting the pins, will trade in my crappy cell phones for credit, and will (or at least try to) waive the upgrade fee. RS you rock!

18. robd54 macrumors member

Just called my radio shack and they dont' have theirs in yet or know how many. He did confirm I was number 6 and 7 though....still hoping for the best between there and BB (still no call).

19. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

i wonder if the amount of units depends on if there is an apple store close or not? long lines at an apple store looks better than shorter lines spread across alot of different stores. that could explain the inventory differences