Radio Signal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydroxs, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Hydroxs macrumors regular

When I have my speakers plugged into my mbp, I sometime hear a spanish station when I adjust the volume on the keyboard. Is it my speakers or mbp? I also tried to reproduce it on my pc but couldn't.

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's probably just a fluke that they are somehow picking up a signal. Sometimes the audio circuitry can act as an FM receiver, although I don't understand it. I have had it happen a couple of times on my PC because I have extra long speaker cables that tend to pick up signals. It is more likely if you are very close to the station's transmitter.

If you just want to keep it from happening, you can put ferrite chokes on some of the wires. I would put one on the speaker cable close to the speakers and one on the power cord for the speakers if they are amplified, close to the speakers. If you hear anything in the laptop speakers, you could put another ferrite on the speaker cable close to the laptop. You could even put one on the magsafe cord close to the laptop if t is still a problem. You can get ferrite chokes at Radioshack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...1&origkw=ferrite&kw=ferrite&parentPage=search
    To use them, just snap them onto the wire. If there is enouh space, loop the wire around the ferrite so you have the wire going through twice. It seems odd, but ferrites are able to reduce high frequency signals (like FM radio) just by sitting around a cable. They won't interfere with relative low frequency signals like audio.