Radio!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R94N, Jun 27, 2010.

1. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Since this is the off-topic section, I figured that it would be about time to add my own thread. I like how random this part of the forum is :D

What radio do you guys listen to, if any? I recently discovered Leo Laporte so now I listen to Security Now and Tech Guy - if I miss it I get the podcasts!

I personally also listen to Internet radio (iTunes has a good selection) or BBC Radio, particularly Radio 1 and 6Music. Chris Moyles is great!

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I'm a total CBC Radio One whore. I like CBC's news, along with a lot of their shows like WireTap, Definitely Not the Opera, Tapestry, the Key of A (a show about Alberta music)... etc. Another favourite is Afghanada. Just loving it all :p

3. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

At work I have internet radio on (thru Radio Sure. Nice program, lots of choice, currently a hard rock station). At home and in the car I have Serius Radio and I listen to Octane. Once again, hard rock. I can't listen to commercial radio anymore. The 'personalities' drive me nuts and I never hear anything new. I'm really tire of 'classic rock'.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have Sirius in my car, so it's either Howard Stern, Octane or Lithium.

5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Sirius:

Octane
    Liquid Metal
    80s on 8
    90s on 9

6. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Luckily, BBC radio isn't commercial. Because it's paid by TV licences there's no advertisements. In the UK most of the commercial radio is normally local radio - it's terrible. I'd rather listen to Internet radio instead.

What is Sirius like? Are there systems you can install directly in your car or do you have to use a separate antenna or something like that?

7. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i have sirius in my car and on any computer. howard stern is first pick. jason ellis is second if hes on. classic vinyl or lithium for music.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't listen to the radio a whole lot anymore, at least, not much to speak of. But, I do subscribe Armin's State of Trance podcast, which is based on his radio show... if that counts. Found some cool music on that show. :cool:

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For me I listen to NPR provided it is a talk, or news.
    If NPR is playing classic music I will listen to either Mix, or the Buzz.

Houston Radio stations suck and our NPR stations kind of sucks as well since they do not really have a good local NPR crew.
    I miss DFW NPR. They had one that was just news and talk and the other just played classic so you had a choice what to listen 2. Houston on the other had the national shows talk/new shows are played but classic the rest of the time.

Houston Mix, and alternative Rock stations suck as well compared to DFW's. I miss DFW stations.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It depends. My car came from the factory with it built in, so I have one antenna that does FM, AM and Sirius on the roof of my car and the in-dash radio controls Sirius. If your car doesn't come with it from the factory, you can replace the in-dash headunit with a Sirius-capable one for a clean all-in-one look (which still requires a separate antenna), or, you can buy add-on radios which mount on your dash (also require the separate antenna) and connect to your existing radio via AUX or FM modulator.

Most people place the antenna on the roof of their car, but it can go inside on the dashboard, like this (this is how I did it in my mom's car):

[​IMG]

11. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Oh, so that's how it works. Thanks.

I like Car talk on NPR, but I only discovered it because of the podcast, me being in the UK and everything.

12. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

The BBC station? The comedies are supposed to be quite good on there, apparently.

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

14. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

15. danielcox macrumors member

Yes, they rock - and the education/news stuff is second to none.
    Plus we have the shipping forecast.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

I listen to NPR in the morning when I'm slowly waking up and before I go to sleep. If I'm driving and I don't feel like music, I'll pop it on there as well.

I especially like that they play CBC Radio's As It Happens between 11pm and midnight (now I've got the theme music in my head).

I also listen to CBC Radio 3, including the podcast with Grant Lawrence. It's a great place to discover new Canadian Indie.

17. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Forgot about that one, but <3 it too

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Funniest episode ever last week...... the host interviewed some hick from Saskatchewan that eats Kraft Dinner every day. I think he's been eating that way for the past 20-30 years.

They first interviewed him 12 years ago, and decided to reinterview him in light of the new Smart KD that came out recently.

/misses KD....... American Kraft Macaroni & Cheese tastes different

19. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I shoulda heard that. There's always iTunes...

Get yo ass back to Canada and get yoself a nice double-double and a bowl of KD bitch. ;) :p

20. Surely Guest

Surely

[off-topic]

Ha

My mother is coming for a visit soon, and she's bringing me a couple of boxes of KD (regular and smart versions), some Coffee Crisps, and my favorite BBQ sauce: Diana Sauce- Chicken and Rib (red label).

I'm looking forward to the next time I can visit Toronto...... I needs me some Salad King.

[/off-topic]

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm one of the few people who still listen to FM radio I guess.

I'm in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area so I listen to:

WOMC Oldies 104.3
    93.1 DOUG FM
    89.9 EMU Radio (Classical Music and Jazz)

-Don

22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I have a short drive to work so I put on NPR usually as I'm pretty sick of the music that gets played on repeat.

23. Xavier macrumors 68030

CD101.1 The 'Alternative' Station.

I only listen to it when I am driving. And I don't drive very often.

24. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Good station, that is what I often listened to when I was living there :)