Radioshack vs. Bestbuy for trade in. Can't decide.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Jun 10, 2010.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So i'm a little situation here. I'm eligible for an upgrade with the $18 fee and I want to get the iPhone 4 16GB.

I currently have the 16GB 3GS and am going to trade it in to get a new phone.

The problem is, radio shack has not released all of the details yet on how their pre ordering and trade in will work but they did say you could get $200 for a 3GS in "good condition". However I don't believe that my iPhone is in good condition so it might be less..

If I use the best buy online trade in I actually can get $239 back for my iPhone while calling it "fair condition".

The only trouble with that is having to send the phone in and wait for the giftcard to come back. And I would be without my phone for up to 2 weeks.. and not being able to pre order?

Any ideas? Here is the damage -> http://i47.tinypic.com/e8oppe.jpg | http://i46.tinypic.com/20hn1hz.jpg

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Why don't you just eBay or Craigslist it? You'll be able to get more, and cash. At least $300 for any 3G S that doesn't have a cracked screen or something majorly wrong with it.

3. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

4. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I would rather not have to sell it online like that.

5. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Craigslist is local. Only online interaction is the posting of the item.

6. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I would rather not be killed so no craigslist.. and I don't want to use ebay.

Is radio shack able to make sure you keep your unlimited data plan and can they manage accounts with a FAN discount?

Will they need to run another credit check since it will be a new contract due to the upgrade?

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

No one gets killed for using CL. There is a chance you might get raped if you use craig's list, but you are guaranteed to get raped if you go to best-buy.

Its your call.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

:rolleyes:

If best buy is giving you more money then by all means go with them. Also check with your local best buy because they may be taking pre orders on the 15th

10. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Unfortunately yes people do get killed by using craigslist. It happened a few months ago in my state, this guy was selling a diamond ring over craigslist, they came to his house, tied up his family and shot him in front of them then took off..

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/archive/Police-Traced-E-Mail-to-Nab-Craigslist-Killer.html

11. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Now, that's funny.

I wonder what kind of neighborhood the OP lives in where he's worried about getting killed for his iPhone.

You'll undoubtedly get more on eBay or CL. Otherwise, you're kind of splitting hairs worrying about a measly $20ish dollar difference between RS & BB, aren't you? I mean, you're already willing to take significantly less than it's worth by going that route in the first place, so what's another few dollars?

12. JoshGlzBrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Well the thing is I don't want to be without my phone. So radioshack seems to be the easier way to accomplish that. I just don't know how they will rate my phone for it's eligibility for trade in.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

POTD

14. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

If you can wait until the flood of used phones on eBay dies down (~1 month or so), just sell it later. Unless you absolutely need that money to buy the new one at which point I'd be questioning your decision to purchase a new phone in the first place (something my flat broke younger sister will undoubtedly do).

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Better price on eBay or CL?

I ran an auction for my 32GB 3Gs. I recently received it refurbished from the Apple Store. I was including a Speck case a leather case and an FM transmitter. I started the auction at $150. NO bids. I cancelled the auction at 12hours to go since I was afraid of selling it too low.

Its on CL list right now. The only intrest was a Nigerian scammer and a store that buys used cell phones. I need to decide on how low to go or just not sell it. I am eligible for the $499 upgrade, so I would like to sell it for at least $500 to break even.

I really don't 'need' to upgrade, so I may just wait. My upgrade is not until 5/2011. BTW Best Buy offers me $311 for my iPhone.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/EPE54B) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

You don't have set up the meeting at your house.

Besides the risk of murder from Craigslist is probably no higher then getting struck by lightening

17. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Getting killed? LMAOO.

Meetup in a public place or in front of a police station or in a starbucks, cmon, think about it.

18. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

How many watchers? Most people bid with about 12 hours to go...

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes it's true

You meet at Starbucks. Unlikely they will gun you down in there.

But criminals are very dumb and will try just about anything, oblivious to the likelihood of getting caught (under certain conditions).

Just use common sense, and you are completely safe.

But if your unsure, don't do it as you will probably get yourself deaded. :D

20. Built macrumors 68020

I'm selling my 1st gen iPhone AND my 3G to Best Buy Trade-In.

The BB gift cards are as good as cash in my house.

21. Built macrumors 68020

I'm tough but I wouldn't sell anything of value (hot ticket items such as iPhones) on CL.

22. Uabcar macrumors 6502

What about gazelle.com? They seem competitive and then you're not tied to RS or BB? Anyone used them?

23. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Wonderful, wonderful quote.

24. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

amazing people. you get responses within minutes and they REALLY make the process as simple as possible.

25. KronicX macrumors newbie

I'm going through www.cexchange.com. Same company RadioShack uses (as do many other retailers), but I get paid cash instead of a giftcard tied to a store. They're offering me more on my 32GB 3Gs than Gazelle did.