Radioshack vs. Walmart: Which will you choose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Airboy98, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Airboy98 macrumors member

Like many people, I wasn't able to pre-order or reserve an iPhone 4 on June 15th and now have to go through the annoying task of trying to get one through a walk-in. Still can't decide if I should go to Walmart or Radioshack on June 24th.

I know that every location differs with being busy or not but overall, what would y'all say would be the better choice? Where I'm at, I called a couple Radioshacks around me yesterday and they already went through all of their pre-orders. Doesn't look promising :(.

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I'd go with an Apple Store if you can, be at least one of the first 200 and you'll be fine. But between those two, I'd go with Walmart.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm going to walmart or ATT it depends on whether or not I can get information from Wal-Mart on which stores will have the iP4. Right now, i've called 4 stores , corporate and their "letstalk" outfit and not one of them can give me an answer. half of them don't even know the phone is coming out.

4. Airboy98 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, not bad advice but I only have 2 apple stores close to where I live and I'm not sure I want to make that trip down there to find that they only have enough units for the reservations.

As for Walmart, we still don't know if they are getting a shipment by launch and even if they do, who knows if they'll be able to figure out what to do with it. Generally, IMO Walmart employees that work in the electronics department have a very limited knowledge about the products they sell or about to start selling.

5. East macrumors member

i'm goin to radio shack because i got it reserved :)

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

same here... although I went back after work and they said they can't technically call it a pre-order / reservation... seems kinda sketchy.. but I'm #6 in queue so I better get mine on the 24th :p

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If I absolutely HAD to go to either one of those locations (both would be my last two choices) I'd have to go with Walmart. While I've never purchased an electronic device from either, my friend was convinced by a Radioshack employee that the Evo was going to be 10x faster with 4G. And when it was brought to this employees attention, by me, that 4G was not available in our area, or anywhere near our area, he blatantly told us that "Sprint's 4G service is available almost everywhere, and it's the fastest cell service on the market" (paraphrased quote).

Walmart.

8. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I'm going with RadioSahck too. And YES, they were very sketchy about the whole thing. Almost like they weren't expecting people not to know about it. Or the trade in / recycle your old iPhone deal. Whether I get it on launch day or day or so later, I will be trading in my 3GS. Because that deal only last June 24-27. That's what a RadioShack manager told me.

9. Airboy98 thread starter macrumors member

One of the main reasons I'm choosing between Radioshack and Walmart is because those stores should be the least popular store to go to to get an iPhone 4 (knock on wood) that MAY have it on release date that we know of. Hopefully more info on who else is offering the phone on release date will pop up at least by next week.

Thanks again for helping us out Higgs with the Walmart stock :D.

10. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

A guy I know who works at Wally World told me they are only get a "few" and prepared their staff for outrage!?!?!? hahahahahaaha. Radio Shack in my area is not even bothering with them and will get them in mid-July.

11. Airboy98 thread starter macrumors member

Anybody heard of their Walmart selling 32 gig iPhone 4s? I can completely mark off Walmart as a possibility if they are only going to be carrying 16 gig units.

12. kangaralph macrumors member

both are ghetto here in texas.... pre-ordered mine from att

13. Ethere macrumors member

Ethere

Radioshack....I wasn't able to pre-order due to the fact I was waiting till I got paid today. I called Radioshack yesterday, and they did in fact confirm they did all of their pre-orders for the 24th, but he did say that they were still putting people on a list. So I'll be at my local Radioshack about 2 hours before they open.

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I am number 2 at our Radio Shack and will be getting $100 for my iPhone 3G 16gig trade in. They also offer up to $200 trade in on the 3GS based on the condition. He looked at my two year old 3G and said it was pristine, so I get the $100 which makes my 4G 32gig now only $199. They will call me when my phone has arrived so I don't have to stand in line or stress over anything.

15. Ethere macrumors member

Ethere

Interesting....my 3GS is only 1 month old (had to have my other one replaced due to a crack in the case). So I'm guessing I could go for the 32 gig if I could get $200 for my current iPhone.

16. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

If your current iPhone is a 32gig 3GS in pristine condition then it is worth $200 that can be used for your next cell phone purchase.

17. Ethere macrumors member

Ethere

Ahhh, only if it's a 32 gig 3GS...gotcha. Well mine is only a 16 gig 3GS. I've seen them go for well over 300 on Ebay. Think I'll stick with that route if I'm going to be selling it at all.

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Yours is only valued at $100 for trade in then. I also thought about ebay and all that other stuff and just decided I didnt want to mess with it or the hassles of mailing and everything else. With this route, I take my wifes 3G iPhone, restore to factory, take my 3GS, restore to factory, swap sim cards. Put my wifes stuff on the 3GS for its second year of use. Put my sim in her old 3G and trade it in for a $100 discount on the new 32gig 4G. My wife is happy, I am happy and we dont have to mess around with cry babies on ebay and I dont have a 3G sitting in the house in a box like my original 2G is doing.

19. CBraun53 macrumors newbie

No, it's $200 for 16gb/32gb 3GS with no screen cracks or water damage and $100 for the 3G according to Radio Shack's Twitter.

20. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I'm watching Best Buy, Walmart and Radioshack, but complications arise in all three. I'm probably going to end up at Walmart around 6AM or so to get an iPhone.

I sincerely regret not pre-ordering Tuesday.