Radioshack...What a joke!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siryak, Jun 15, 2010.

1. siryak macrumors newbie

Ok so I ended up turning around and leaving Radioshack. I knew better when I went in, but I wanted the accessory bonus and I wanted to trade in my phone.(I know I could sell it for more on eBay, but meh it would have been easier this way)

I ended up turning around and leaving before I got my preorder. The employees there were absolutely clueless. I went in expecting little and was still disappointed. First of all I had to argue with the rep that I could indeed keep my unlimited plan. I ended up googling it and showing her the long list of websites saying it. Then she asked me which one and I told her just give me the smallest one. So she said ok so you want the 8GB. I then proceeded to tell her that this was not the iPhone 4, but the 3GS. The rep then proceeded to argue with me telling me no that this was the iPhone 4! I then continued to explain that they were relaunching the 3GS with the $99 price point and this was not the iPhone 4. She never did concede that I was right and I ended up just turning around and walking out. I am not going to let these people touch my account. There is no telling what shape it would have ended up in after they were finished with it.

After all of this I went straight to the AT&T store and was in and out in under 10 minutes. Also they are shipping it straight to me so I will get it on release day.

The sad thing is I knew Radioshack would be clueless, but I thought well maybe I can get through this one purchase. I was wrong.

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

3. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I have to agree with OP. Employees totally clueless at my local RS.

4. siryak thread starter macrumors newbie

No excuse for their employees being clueless. If the are going to sell it then they need to educate their employees about it.

5. mntentman macrumors regular

It's Radio Shack. You should have known better.

6. keystoneuser macrumors member

Yeah its just preordering, I will agree with that statement, but at the same time I can't blame him.

ATT almost screwed up my data plan because he did not know what he was doing so I stood behind the counter with him and went through the process so that I could visually see that everything was staying the same.

What does bother me is that I upgraded 2 lines to the 32gig, however the computer was screwed up when I first came in so he started to do the paper process, and as he was getting on the phone another associate said that the computers were up and I said something to him about it and he wound up finishing credit card authorization on the phone anyways, and then he ran the other line through the computer, AND THEN ran my 1st one through, so in total I was preauthorized $962.94, for 2 phones. Now my question is when will the phone authorization be returned? Its kinda chewing into my living expenses.

I should add that both lines fell under the 299.99 upgrade.

7. siryak thread starter macrumors newbie

Lord help you...I went through them charging my card twice for the original iPhone.(The $400 one) It was a nightmare getting that back. It took it a while to show up in their system and they wouldn't give the money back until they could see it. Hope you have better luck then I did!

8. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Speaking of The Shack... why do they ask for your zip code when you buy something?

9. keystoneuser macrumors member

Thanks, I need it, my wife is probably going to kill me.

As far as the zipcode, I think they do that to take a census of what areas around you sell the most....only thing I can figure.

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I think it's a marketing thing to see where to target their ad's. I always tell them 90210

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I reserved my iPhone 4 32GB at my local RadioShack after hours of unsuccessful Apple / AT&T site issues...

I called them this morning and the employee told me they were taking reservations at 10am. I go in, tell them I wanted to reserve the iPhone 4 32GB, the guy asks if I'm currently an AT&T customer... I said yes... he then asked if I was eligible for the $199 / $299 pricing, and I said yes... I guess the system was down so they wrote my information on a piece of paper...

The employee tells me I'm good to go, and that they'll call me on the 24th... I didn't get a receipt, deposit, or any kind of confirmation.... which is kinda sketchy.... but I asked what # I was in the queue for reservations, and he said #6, and that there is no reason why I shouldn't have an iPhone 4 on June 24th..... I hope he is right, or someone's getting a foot up the ass.

12. Machoo macrumors member

So

So, has anyone successfully turned thier iphone 3gs into a Radio Shack and used it to counter the price of the new iphone 4? I know I could sell my 32g for more myself but if it isn't too difficult I don't mind going through Radio Shack if it isn't a total nightmare!

13. Fast duck macrumors member

I went in and did my preorder he said i was all set even though i want a white one?? So i called back after 1 when he said he could place the orders. Its a no go he could not get 1 phone there. More or less i would call your store and double check with them to make sure they were able yo place your order. Because i assume they wont call you!

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

So... Let's say you want some fish. You go into a restaurant because the sign outside says today's special is fish. The waiter tells you the special is chicken whilst other customers are getting the fish special. When you tell the waiter the special is fish, he shows you a chicken leg and tells you it's a fish. What do you calmly do?

Oh, I forgot to mention... It's a really s****y restaurant.

15. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

well my local radio shack was good to go......I have pin preorders for 2 phones.........1 16gb black and one 32gb white.....I dont expect to end up with a white phone ....prob. 2 black ones

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Did you pick up any batteries while you were there?

17. Built macrumors 68020

So true. I've been posting warnings about Radioshack on here for days.

The fact that they are individually owned and operated gives them a great deal of latitude to be quirky and not own up to their mistakes.

18. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

they sell batteries still>>>>>???? and i agree with your comment about the white iphone holding the black iphone down.....its just everyone i know is getting black so i want to be different

19. jameswgarner macrumors member

Radio Shack waste of time

I called the local RS and was told there was no line and to come on down. I printed the upgrade eligibility page from the at&t wireless webpage. Person I talked to was an idiot-par for the course. She asked me what phone I wanted and I told her the 32gig one. She then asked me if I wanted white or black. I knew I should have walked out then. They accepted the order for the white 32 and a black 16 for my wife. No receipt, no reference number, no nothing. Fortunately, I did not have to pay anything so I wasn't too worried.
    Idiot calls me about an hour later and she tell me that they are out of stock of the white phones, (shocker) and she wanted to know if a black 32 would work. I told her no problem.
    About two hours later, a man from the RS store called and told me that my 32 black could not be filled due to server latency problems (WTF?) But they could fulfill my order if I wanted to settle for 16gigs.
    I told them to cancel the whole thing.

20. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I talked to my local RS a few times today. Here's how the calls went:

1) Called around 9 AM after having no luck with apple's site. They said they would take pre orders around noon, and they would call back later.

2) They called while i was in class, couldnt answer. :rolleyes:

3) Called them back after class. They took my info down and told me they didnt know how many pre orders they would be allotted and they would call me back around 2 and let me know if i would have a phone on the 24th.

4) They never called around 2, so finally at 2:40, on my way to work, i called them. They said they found out they were not getting any iPhone 4's in on the 24th but they would still call me when i would be able to get one.

Screw RS! I was all excited that it would actually maybe work out, but it did not. So i ordered from Apple and it finally went through about an hour ago! Getting it delivered to your house is the way to go anyway - you still get it on the 24th although it may be later in the day, but you still get to know that you were the first one to touch your iPhone, not some rep from a store.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I suspect you'll be posting here on the 25th about how RS screwed up your pre-order.

22. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Yeah, my experience at Radio Shack was totally
    f'd up!

First, they were essentially clueless how it all
    worked. They were getting memos every hour
    and conference calls that all contradicted the
    information they had an hour before. Nobody
    could figure out if actually getting a pin meant
    you were guaranteed an iPhone or not.

So, it was just me and my buddy at RS this
    afternoon at 1pm EST when preordering began.

Now, mind you, only about 9,000 pin numbers
    available and every single Radio Shack store in
    the nation was fighting for those pin numbers.

So, naturally two salesmen were hitting the
    system over and over again with requests for
    a phone.

Rejected. Rejected. Rejected.

1 hr. 15 minutes later a memo went out saying
    that Radio Shack stores were no longer preordering.
    Either they ran out of pins or their servers were
    crashing.

Lesson learned -- and what I should have known
    going into this -- Radio Shack is the awful entitity
    it has always been known to be.

The only reason I went with them was for the
    $250 trade-in I received on my 3GS iPhone. Was
    going to use that credit towards an iPhone 4.

I think when these phones reach stores on
    June 24th, Radio Shack is going to be treated
    like the red-headed step child and get nothing.
    I just hope those that had to stand in line to get
    a pin today at least get their phone next week
    on launch day.

Radio Shack. Never again.

23. Built macrumors 68020

OMG...I LOVE THIS...Especially the last line. :D

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Same here... My info was written on a piece of regular paper, but the employee did call me later and said he needed my home address and model/color of the phone I wanted. I'm not sure why he'd ask me that unless he was entering the info. I was never given a pin or any other info though.

Who knows.

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So, what is this trade-in of the 3GS price point?

If I trade in my 3GS, will it be completely free for the 4G? (On extending my contract of course)