RadioShack's iPad 2 sale policy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Meanee, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Meanee macrumors 6502a

So, I was in RadioShack earlier today (NYC, 125th and Lex), who had iPad 2's in stock. I already have one, but co-worker wanted one, agreed to pay me for it. So, when attempting to buy it, I was told that they won't sell it to me without Apple Care and a random accessory priced of at least $20. This made a 16gb WiFi version $680 after taxes. I walked away from that.

Anyone experienced something similar to that?

2. imacuser1 macrumors newbie

Hi, iPad scalper here :)

I tried buying one from these a-holes and they did the same thing. Told me I had to buy the warranty if I wanted one. They didn't tell me I had to buy an accessory though, just the warranty. When I gave a stink about it, he told me if I wanted to speak with his DM (district manager). It wasn't even worth my time. The Shack Sucks.

3. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

I have a buddy who used to work at radioshack and said this is common practice even with iPhones he was explained something that in order to be able to continue to sell apple products they have to have a extreamly high attach rate for AppleCare something like 90%

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Turning down customers with their credit cards out seems like a bad way to stay in Apple's favor.

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Got mine when they started carrying it. They tried sticking apple care but I ended up taking a smart cover instead. I asked point blank if I can buy the iPad without anything and he must have slipped or something and said yeah.

6. ani23 macrumors 6502

I hope apple just baninates their ass for this.

7. Meanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

You got lucky I guess. For me, asked few different employees and it was no go. Guess I can only complain to Apple at this point. At least let them know what's going on.

8. Meanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

For scalping, it's still a decent deal, no? I guess you can always resell AppleCare on eBay, and add accessory to the iPad you are reselling for added value.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I seriously wonder if making someone buy a warranty is even legal.

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

they can require whatever they want for purchase, but it doesn't mean you have to buy it there. Especially with Target, Best Buy, WalMart and the Apple Store selling them.

It's total douchebaggery though and I hope RadioSuck loses out next go 'round.

11. Meanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no problem with stores hard selling it, but forcing should be illegal. But, it's store's policy, I guess. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I picked up my Ipad on opening day in Best Buy. 2 hours in line, was 5th. Was asked twice to buy Geek Squad protection, and once to buy their internet plan. Said no, but wasn't forced to buy it. Looks like RS took a different approach this time...

12. thekb macrumors 6502a

I thought Best Buy got in big time hot water for this a few years ago. Their sales bots would ask if the customer wanted the warranty, and if they said no, then the store was suddenly out of stock of the item.

13. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

RafioShack seriously has the shadiest sales policies ever!! I honestly can't believe they are even in business anymore.. Furthermore, I cannot believe Apple of all companies allows them to resale!!

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not illegal... just as if a store wanted to sell the iPad 2's for $100 less... they just could not advertise the fact. There may be local laws on the books to prohibit "scalping", and "forced" add-ons. And there may be rules that Apple has set up to prevent dealers from selling above the advertised price.

Just as when I bought a '99 New Beetle, I was told that each contact had to be faxed to VW to insure there was no "added dealer markup". And why years ago a local MB dealership had "new" cars on the lot being sold as "used" cars - since fools wanted to pay more than the MSRP sticker for the hottest cars out there.

Radio Shack's apparent use of forced add-ons may be legit with Apple - I doubt that Radio Shack are fools when it comes to contracts. In the end it is how the consumer will react to it. In the case of the local MB dealership, I will never buy a car from them or any other dealership that is owned by them.

Not that I am a target buyer for MB; but they do have a SmartCar dealership; and a used car lot. I have decided to vote with my dollars, and will not buy from them. That is the risk that Radio Shack faces with the iPad 2.

Will the consumer be turned off by being forced in to add-ons they did not want or need? Time will tell. For me I don't think it would make me negative on Radio Shack. I have a iPad 1 that I need to sell off and would not mind the value-add of the Apple Care to help sell it. And when I got my iPad 2 about a week ago, I added a leather Smart Cover to the buy at Micro Center. So I think I would have been golden at Radio Shack if I had bought there.

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

You guys think buying at Radio ***** is a hassle... God help you should you need to return a $100+ item!!!

My neighbour went to return a shrink wrapped iPad 2 and the Shag had her wait almost 2 hrs because they couldn't verify the iPad2 sale. They had to call their DM to get an over ride for the return. The DM had the store mgr open the iPad2 box to verify that it actually contained an iPad2 inside and then proceeded to deduct a 10% restock fee from the refund even though she had never opened the box!!

She had to fight tooth and nail to get that restock fee refunded!!

Amazing!!