Radtech Screensavrz thickness

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hmai18, Nov 16, 2008.

1. hmai18 macrumors 6502

I just received my screensavrz for the new unibody macbooks, but the cloth seems to be a little thicker than ideal: the magnetic latch doesn't close as securely as it does without the cloth or with the foam sheet that came with the unit.

Is anybody else having this problem? I'm trying to decide whether to exchange it for the MBA version.

2. macalacka macrumors newbie

So you HAVE an aluminum MB? What version did you get?

I just received my shaggymac for the AMB and it's great :D

3. hmai18 thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased the stock 2.0Ghz model.

Define "great." Does the mag latch on your MBA close as securely with the cloth as it does without? The shaggymac cloth is listed as 0.6mm thick, which is the same as my radtech one, but I'm definitely not happy with the way my notebook closes now.

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have 3 radtech screensavrz and I agree they are slightly different thickness. I had the same problem with the MBA but the MB seems a lot stronger magnet latch.

5. tongteh macrumors 6502

i got the same product and same here with closing the latch.. :(

6. south8212 macrumors 6502

same here but with a macbook pro....i emailed them and im returning it. The sleevz works great tho.

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I have one for my Blackbook and it works great, I've heard the latches on the new machines are pretty weak though so it makes sense that there might be issues. On their site they talk about how they made an extra-thin version for the Air, maybe they'll adopt that for the new MBs after getting complaints/returns.

8. south8212 macrumors 6502

Here is what i got in an email from their customer service:

A few points worth mentioning (we're very thorough in our approach to LCD protection and care):

The fibers used in our Optex products are the softest (mechanically) currently available on Earth.
    They will not scratch even the most delicate surface. A fabric which 'feels' softer, is not necessarily so.

A simple test can be performed on a blank recordable CD:
    Rub the disc 30 times in one direction using Optex, now rub another path 90 degrees to the first using a 'softer' cloth.
    Inspect the disc's surface under a bright light and the difference will be evident.

The thickness of our ScreenSavrz are fine-tuned to match the display to case clearance of the Apple notebook model they're intended for. It's important that the expanse of display be sufficiently supported to reduce the likelihood of flexing and potentially breaking when subjected to a shock or drop. Too thin a cloth could allow the display to flex and crack when subjected to sufficient g-forces, such as those encountered in a bump or drop.

So it seems as if the little extra thickness is needed from protection if dropped? I can see how this makes sense with the new glass screen and could very well prevent the glass from cracking if a drop should occur.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to be honest. I've been very disappointed with Radtech's Sleevz. They don't last long at all. I had one for my iBook G4 that shredded in less than a year. I would go with a neoprene sleeve from InCase.

10. south8212 macrumors 6502

I have the incase as well but i use it more for traveling and putting it in my bag and all. The sleevz i use more for taking in the car on short trips etc.