RAID 0+1 on Mini Server Boot Disk?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by btmendenhall, Aug 16, 2011.

1. btmendenhall macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a "how to" for setting up striped RAID on the boot disk? I couldn't find it via search.
    Before i get flamed, i am running time machine which kind of works as a RAID 0+1.
    I have the new Mini Server running Lion.

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Boot from the recovery partition. Run Disk Utility. Click on a drive. Click RAID. Drag both disks over. Select Striped RAID Set and do a Create. Exit Disk Utility and install on the newly created raid set.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

RAID 0+1 is for high availability......Time Machine is for backup. Big difference....

Scott

4. btmendenhall thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant. Thank you!

Indeed. I was just trying to point out that i wasn't setting up RAID for data recovery as i already have that covered with Time Machine. Good looking out though!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since RAID01 or RAID10 both require 4 hard drives you can not do either with just the internal hard drives of the Mac Mini. RAID0 and RAID1 both require 2 hard drives and can be done with just the internal hard drives. Running RAID0 on a server is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. I have my Mini running RAID1 on the internal drives with a FireWire cloned drive and a FireWire TimeMachine backup.

6. btmendenhall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes and no. Raid 01 and 10 are actually 0+1 and 1+0. The idea being striping and mirroring of the same system. Since Time Machine is similar to Mirroring, additional Striping on a two hard drive machine is okay. Even if it is a server.

Again, i wasn't asking for people's opinion on RAID infrastructure, i was asking for a how to on Lion Raid systems. Thanks for chiming in!

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Then don't say crazy things like you just did.

RAID 10 (1+0) and RAID 0+1 are not anything like Time Machine and Time is not anything like RAID 10 (1+0) and RAID 0+1.

Again, these two types or RAID offer high availability through redundancy. They should not be considered a backup system in any way, shape, or form. RAID 1+0 is much better than RAID 0+1.

Time Machine is a differential backup system with a nice user interface.

I don't care what method you employ to backup a server, it's crazy to use a RAID 0 setup. A two drive RAID 0 array is twice as likely to fail as a single drive setup. You want redundancy in a server's disk subsystem, not an increased chance of failure.

S-

8. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

Him there above me is right ^^^^.

If I were you, and I am not, I would invest in something along the lines of 2x2bay external hard drives, or NAS depending on how you want to setup.

Then in each of the boxes have raid 1 on both, and everything is super safe.

so you have:

NAS 1 = 1nd Share point
    NAS 2 = 2nd Share point

Use lion server to make it act like two normal share points that your server is distribute, and get over the idea of not having only 1 point.

Or..................

Get a 4 bay NAS hard drive, and run RAID 5. Then you would be pro.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Well, these days, no self-respecting pro would use RAID5 either. RAID5 has too many potential problems with data loss and performance degradation.

A pro would use ZFS RAID-Z.

S-

10. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

Ok - my bad. I meant 'pro' as in 'good'

And I never for a second suggested that this guy was a pro :p