Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btmendenhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone have a "how to" for setting up striped RAID on the boot disk? I couldn't find it via search.
Before i get flamed, i am running time machine which kind of works as a RAID 0+1.
I have the new Mini Server running Lion.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Boot from the recovery partition. Run Disk Utility. Click on a drive. Click RAID. Drag both disks over. Select Striped RAID Set and do a Create. Exit Disk Utility and install on the newly created raid set.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Does anyone have a "how to" for setting up striped RAID on the boot disk? I couldn't find it via search.
Before i get flamed, i am running time machine which kind of works as a RAID 0+1.
I have the new Mini Server running Lion.

RAID 0+1 is for high availability......Time Machine is for backup. Big difference....

Scott

btmendenhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Boot from the recovery partition. Run Disk Utility. Click on a drive. Click RAID. Drag both disks over. Select Striped RAID Set and do a Create. Exit Disk Utility and install on the newly created raid set.

Brilliant. Thank you!

RAID 0+1 is for high availability......Time Machine is for backup. Big difference....

Scott

Indeed. I was just trying to point out that i wasn't setting up RAID for data recovery as i already have that covered with Time Machine. Good looking out though!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Since RAID01 or RAID10 both require 4 hard drives you can not do either with just the internal hard drives of the Mac Mini. RAID0 and RAID1 both require 2 hard drives and can be done with just the internal hard drives. Running RAID0 on a server is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. I have my Mini running RAID1 on the internal drives with a FireWire cloned drive and a FireWire TimeMachine backup.

btmendenhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Since RAID01 or RAID10 both require 4 hard drives you can not do either with just the internal hard drives of the Mac Mini. RAID0 and RAID1 both require 2 hard drives and can be done with just the internal hard drives. Running RAID0 on a server is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. I have my Mini running RAID1 on the internal drives with a FireWire cloned drive and a FireWire TimeMachine backup.

Yes and no. Raid 01 and 10 are actually 0+1 and 1+0. The idea being striping and mirroring of the same system. Since Time Machine is similar to Mirroring, additional Striping on a two hard drive machine is okay. Even if it is a server.

Again, i wasn't asking for people's opinion on RAID infrastructure, i was asking for a how to on Lion Raid systems. Thanks for chiming in!

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Yes and no. Raid 01 and 10 are actually 0+1 and 1+0. The idea being striping and mirroring of the same system. Since Time Machine is similar to Mirroring, additional Striping on a two hard drive machine is okay. Even if it is a server.

Again, i wasn't asking for people's opinion on RAID infrastructure, i was asking for a how to on Lion Raid systems. Thanks for chiming in!

Then don't say crazy things like you just did.

RAID 10 (1+0) and RAID 0+1 are not anything like Time Machine and Time is not anything like RAID 10 (1+0) and RAID 0+1.

Again, these two types or RAID offer high availability through redundancy. They should not be considered a backup system in any way, shape, or form. RAID 1+0 is much better than RAID 0+1.

Time Machine is a differential backup system with a nice user interface.

I don't care what method you employ to backup a server, it's crazy to use a RAID 0 setup. A two drive RAID 0 array is twice as likely to fail as a single drive setup. You want redundancy in a server's disk subsystem, not an increased chance of failure.

S-

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
Him there above me is right ^^^^.

If I were you, and I am not, I would invest in something along the lines of 2x2bay external hard drives, or NAS depending on how you want to setup.

Then in each of the boxes have raid 1 on both, and everything is super safe.

so you have:

NAS 1 = 1nd Share point
NAS 2 = 2nd Share point

Use lion server to make it act like two normal share points that your server is distribute, and get over the idea of not having only 1 point.

Or..................

Get a 4 bay NAS hard drive, and run RAID 5. Then you would be pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.