Raid 0 and backup question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mlankton, Apr 14, 2009.

1. mlankton macrumors newbie

mlankton

I have an 2008 2.8 octo with the stock 320gb WD drive. I use an external 1tb Seagate FreeAgent to backup. I use Super Duper to backup a bootable clone. I am interested in both more storage space and faster response.

1. If I were to get another of these WD 320gb units and make a striped raid using disk utility, I would get a 640gb volume, correct?

2. Could I back up the 2 drive raid volume to my external drive just like I do now?

3. Could I restore to either a striped raid or a single drive off the backups on my external in the event that after a hardware failure I decided either to replace the bad drive or just go back to using a single drive?

4. Would a two drive raid comprised of two 8mb cache WD 320gb units perform as well or better than using just a single Samsung Spinpoint drive, which is the other option I have considered?

The WD unit is $49 shipped, and a 500gb spinpoint is $59 shipped, so cost is about the same. I just want to get the most bang for the buck out of my brokedick $50 storage upgrade, and I also want to be sure that I have a little piece of mind with my external drive backups.

Appreciate your opinions on which route is best and why. Thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

1. Yes, sort of. Drive makers use 1GB = 1000, not 1024. Then figure in formatting, so usable capacity will be a bit less.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.