RAID 0 and iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by covrc, Sep 25, 2010.

1. covrc macrumors member

I have a RAID 0 set up on my 2009 MP. I am using two 2TB Caviar Blacks and have my boot drive on a OCZ 120GB Vertex. I have 50GB of iTune music on that drive and want to move it to the RAID 0.

Is it as simple as using the preferences on iTunes and choosing the 'Data' volume (name of my RAID 0) and assigning iTunes to that drive? Is this the guide I need to follow?
    http://macperformanceguide.com/SettingUp-Relocating-iApps.html

Thanks.

RC

2. MFDoom macrumors member

3. covrc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks Doom.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I made an alias of my "iTunes" folder in the "Music" folder under the home directory on my SSD and set the alias to the REAL "iTunes" folder on my RAID 0 array. It works great just using an alias called "iTunes" as your folder, linking to the "iTunes" folder on your RAID.

5. covrc thread starter macrumors member

Twist

The twist in all of this is I also need the folder to be available to the non 'Master Acct' users.
    Currently my iTunes media Folder is in "public" folder along with drop box.
    I need to be able to move the 50GB off the SSD Boot Drive and have it still be available to the other users (daughters) who sign in under the 'household' acct password.
    I am thinking of moving to my External WD 1 TB Elements which is available to other users also.

Will that work?

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You could make multiple aliases of the "iTunes" folder from your iTunes folder on the RAID 0 and then put each alias in the "Music" folder under each home directory you want to use, they would all link to the music on the RAID.

Make sure you rename the alias and call it "iTunes" and have this alias in the "Music" folder of each home directory. That way your iTunes library will be linked to the RAID array for each user.