Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaminsane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
So, please welcome me back. After 15 years (I had Mac Plus, LC and Quadra 650), I am back from the darkside. Bought myself a Mac Pro today. Yeah - I probably should have waited for nehalem, but my PC was getting flaky. Time for the every 9 month wipe/reload and I just didn't want to go through that again, so I jumped...

Tomorrow I am moving drives into the MP. My questions is specifically about partitioning and Raid. I typically partition my drives about 1/2 way down the middle and give the 1st partition to high performance needs and leave the second for infrequent use of backups and storage.

Lets assume I have two WD6400AAKS (I have three actually). Ideally, I'd like to partition them like this:
WD1 Partition 1A (200GB) Partition 1B (400GB)
WD2 Partition 2A (200GB) Partition 2B (400GB)

Then (using Soft Raid)
- Config partition 1A and 2A as Raid 0 Striped (giving me 400GB high performance)
- And config partition 1B and 2B as Raid 1 Mirrored (giving me 400GB redundant backup)

(Yes - of course i don't want to access the mirrored drives when expecting high performance from the striped drives)

I assume that once the drives are partitioned, the Soft Raid will simply see them as four different drives allowing me to configure them as described.

but before dropping a few hours into this, I thought I'd let all you raid/hard drive experts give your opinion.

So fire away.

peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.