Raid 0 and Recovery HD

macnetico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Hi all,

I have set up an Raid 0 with two SSD's and installed Sierra 10.12.6 on a Imac 27" mid 2011.

When I power up with cmd+R I get a world ball and takes some time to start. When I open Utilities - terminal, and try to use csrutil, the command is not found.

If I boot normally and make a diskutil list, I don't have the "Recovery HD", does anyone know how to be able to install it in order to be able to make a "csrutil disable"?

Thank you!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If you need to make a "csrutil disable" in the Terminal, hold Alt + Cmd + r on boot to start an Internet Recovery.

This will load a "Recovery partition" in RAM.
From there you can access a Terminal (menu bar / Utilities).

Last edited:

macnetico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
If you need to make a "csrutil disable" in the Terminal, hold Alt + Cmd + r on boot to start an Internet Recovery.

This will load a "Recovery partition" in RAM.
From there you can access a Terminal (menu bar / Utilities).
Thank you Bruno09, It worked perfectly!!

paulcons

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Wow... I have been upset about the issue of them locking us OUT of using arrays with a recovery partition... never saw nor heard any explanation WHY they "don't allow it." Gotta try this method...

paulcons

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Gave it my best shot... this "method" does NOT work. I even preceeded it by clearing P-RAM and setting startup drive and video driver. On the bong, held down cmd-option-R. System simply booted into my normal start up volume (yeah, I did not let up until I saw the Finder load). As the advice was to someone who did not have a recovery partition, assumed this key sequence fetches what is needed from the mothership. I am already running the last rev of Sierra.

So I dug a bit further... seems I DO have a recovery partition... it must have been made when I configured bootcamp on a single drive, I started that process with a clean OS install, then made the bootcamp partition. Thing is, the Recovery partition is 10.9.4. That partition was repurposed to be a clone of my normal startup array. 3 questions:

Can I run csrutil disable from a 10.9.4 Recovery partition?

Why did cmd-opt-R not do as suggested earlier?

If I wipe my clone partition and fresh install High Sierra, will it create a 10.13 Recovery partion (fwiw, this is a single drive in bay 1 of my Mac Pro)? Even with Bootcamp still on a separate partition? I would still have the option to recreate the clone there...

paulcons

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Rats... so all the other 2010 machines EXCEPT the tower, grrrr. BUT I do thank you for the links... gotta say I USED TO seriously tinker with the hardware and software (my favorite app for a LONG time was ResEdit), but these days I just want it to sit there and work!

Could you possibly answer the other 2 questions I posed?