Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
They have said APFS works with raid arrays, yet I read High Sierrea will NOT install in any way on an array (APFS or not). Anyone hear anything further to this... it was broght up over a year ago on their developer forums... BTW, my array is my boot drive.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
They have said APFS works with raid arrays, yet I read High Sierrea will NOT install in any way on an array (APFS or not). Anyone hear anything further to this... it was broght up over a year ago on their developer forums... BTW, my array is my boot drive.

After a two-day weekend, upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro with 5,1 firmware, and a Sonnet Tempo SSD PCI card. I have "some" progress.

I decided to install (HS-10.13) to the back-up 1 TB drive I use to do firmware updates and to get the latest recovery partition. Things went without a hitch to that point.

I have two Crucial M500s installed, a little old, but running SOLID. I ran disk utility and used the new RAID Assistant, and was kinda pumped. Only one problem. I formatted the two drives as APFS slice0, slice1.

I used the RAID Assistant, and I was only able to format the RAID Volume as Extended HFS (two options casesense/not). :(

But I tried to format the BUILT RAID 0 Volume, to APFS after, and it did format it, I also CCC 5'd the Booting HS back to the APFS RAID, but containers got weird.

When I updated the 2009, w 5,1 FW, it did the APFS FW update without a hitch, as a side note.

But when I went to choose the RAID on the PCI Card, that was formatted APFS, I could not bless the drive , got an error :(

So I had to re-do re-build, and just left it as HFS+

I CCC 5'd the BOOT drive back to the newly created HFS+ RAID 0, and viola, booting no problems.

I was thinking about booting into Recovery off the internal CMD-R partition, and doing the "Convert to APFS" option but...

I heard some rumors of some drives not being able to format as APFS, which is false, even tho they are SSD, so...

I went to my 2011 MacBook Pro, with a bum video card and did my CCC update swap back routine to get it to HS. But THIS machine couldn't see the APFS Boot Drive, even with option down boot, altho it was able to bless it. This machine didn't do a FW update tho? hmm

The 2011 MBP 17" has the SAME Model M500 Crucial drive in it.

Neither machine could Boot off APFS, RAID or NOT.

MY HUNCH is like old world / new world days, if your mac has a BLACK BOOT screen with WHITE Apple Logo, you probably can boot off of an APFS drive, if you don't there are no guarantees. Like you might be able to off a 2012 but I highly believe if you have an "iOS" Black Boot, you'll be able to do APFS SOLO DRIVE booting.

RAID...

NO IT WON'T WORK. Just format your RAID HFS+ and CCC 5' it back.

There is this workaround to install and not convert, had I known THE ABOVE ^^^ what I just posted, I would have just done this:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/17/how-skip-apfs-macos-high-sierra/

TWICE!!

That's my Advice!

Laters...

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
I think 90% of my interest in Hugh Sierra is the new disk format. I HAD thought about doing something similar, I have one drive that has bootcamp (with a screwed up win10) and a second partition I have as a boot clone (in addition to a TM pair of drives, I should be well covered)... so update that, then clone it back to the array, once I got the array to be APFS. Looks like that is a non-starter. Somehow I have zero faith in what they are doing these days, it's all about money overseas, avoiding paying taxes and being dialed in to the "noses in their phones" generation! Thing that really annoys is that the mothership seems to be 100% mum on this... kinda like they can't figure it out themselves.

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I also have a RAID0 as my startup volume. This is whats keeping me from upgrading. Craig Federighi stated that APFS support for Fusion Drives will be coming in a future update, so my guess is that RAID containers will also be supported. Hopefully.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Bad NEWS kinda...

So I went to do the 10.13.1 update, directly from AppStore... NO GO. Sad Face...

What do I have to do now? I have to CCC boot off backup, and install the upgrade to the internal drive, THEN clone back... for EVERY update...

Unless 10.14.x has Support for RAID 0, looks like 10.13.6-ish is gonna be the end of the road. Unless I get two 1 TB SSD, instead of my 2x500GB RAID 0, that will be run just as un-raided "drives".

I don't know tho it's just SO LAME... come on 10.14.x, because my 2009 NIHIL (Nehalem) is on it's last leg... Because I won't do updates like this for more than a year!

Reactions: GuilleA

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Bad NEWS kinda...

So I went to do the 10.13.1 update, directly from AppStore... NO GO. Sad Face...

What do I have to do now? I have to CCC boot off backup, and install the upgrade to the internal drive, THEN clone back... for EVERY update...

Unless 10.14.x has Support for RAID 0, looks like 10.13.6-ish is gonna be the end of the road. Unless I get two 1 TB SSD, instead of my 2x500GB RAID 0, that will be run just as un-raided "drives".

I don't know tho it's just SO LAME... come on 10.14.x, because my 2009 NIHIL (Nehalem) is on it's last leg... Because I won't do updates like this for more than a year!

I do RAID 0 for performance, not just to get more usable space. The IOPS and throughput I get from my two 850 Pros in RAID 0 is phenomenal (instant almost everything, 1000 MBps, etc). I don't want to lose half the speed just to get High Sierra, so I'll wait it out a few more updates and see what happens.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
What saddens me is that this indicates a lack of engineering talent and management of and on the OS team... AND public promises that are yet to be fulfilled. No actual statement addressing this also indicates they may have no idea how to do it. I see no reason whatsoever nor have I been offered any plausible explanation why things like no recovery partition if one uses a RAID array, and no ability to update the new file system on RAID arrays. AND before you can clap 3 times, we will be faced with being REQUIRED to run HS. VERY sad as I've been with the platform since May 1894.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.