Raid 0 Boot Issue. Odd....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cloud9, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

I have taken out the superdrive of my MBP and am running 2 ssds in a raid0 configuration.

Upon a cold boot the laptop boots and hangs eventually giving me the the Grey circle with the slash though it. When I hold the power button down to force a shutdown and then restart it boots fine taking about 30 seconds to load the os. I don't like having to bully my laptop into obedience. Is there something I can configure to get osx to load correctly with my internal raid 0. I already have the correct, (and only) drive selected in start up disk,

I have a Santa Rosa MBP.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've never heard of people using RAID0 on a MacBook Pro before. Perhaps the initial power draw of both drives spinning up upon cold boot is to high for the Notebooks power distribution system. As you probably know when you first turn on a Computer it draws quite a lot more power then when its already on.

3. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

That answer would not apply as the drives are ssd and do not spin. Power consumption would seem to me to be irrelevant as the second drive is connected via a pata/sata converter and runs fine provided a I force a shutdown after hitting the circle/slash icon. The diference seems to me to be software. Almost like, by forcing a shutdown the os does not have a chance to screw it up for the next restart.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

did you try holding alt at boot? If the disk comes up right away, just go into the startup disk pane in the sysprefs, and reboot.

?

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

Interesting setup you have. How did you initially set this up?

6. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Shut down today and restarted with out issue. So maybe the problem was only temporary. But we'll see. I don't typically restart my machine more then once a week.

I have 2 g.skill 128 ssd's that I got from new egg for like $245. I think they are less now. I purchased a Optical Bay Hard Drive tray from Newmodeus. The tray itself won't fit in the SR MBP. But I took the pata/sata bridge out and connected it easily. Took some 3m adhesive velcro and attached it to the ssd and the case for mounting and it works well. With Raid0 I have gotten read speeds of about 155 MB/s and writes of up to 136 MB/s. I think thats the best I will see since the SR MBP only supports SATA I/150 MB/s.