RAID 0 Help, PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sublimaze69, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sublimaze69 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I have two 320GB Internal HD's that are doing nothing, so I would like to know if they can be setup in an External RAID0 Array for my MacBook Pro?
    I believe this is possible, but would love for someone to tell me step by step directions, first, of what I need besides the HD's and my MacBook Pro. And secondly, the steps from the beginning to the end, in order?
    Here is what I have:
    My 13" MacBook Pro OSX Lion 2.4GHz 8GB RAM 80GB SSD (Internal)
    2- 320GB 5400RPM Hitachi HD's
    And I'm willing to go buy whatever else you tell me I need, to get this job done?
    I look forward to hearing from someone and taking on my first RAID0 project.
    Thank you.

2. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

1) Buy a two-disk enclosure.
    2) Consider RAID-0 and RAID-1.
    3) Follow the directions in Disk Utility.app

3. sublimaze69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

2 Disc enclosure and Disk utility directions. Got it.
    Thank you.

I'm sure this will be a dumb embarrassing question, but I'm shameless and will ask anyway, to satisfy curiosity. What purpose, other than the obvious protection, does a disc enclosure serve? Because I notice that I can boot to the external drives, which are actually Internal Drives, without a disc enclosure. Just simply hooked unto this Drive Wire adapter, sitting out in the open and the MacBook will run the drives. I'm still going to get a 2 disc enclosure, but I'm just curious about the importance of them.

Thank you again for helping me.