Raid 0 or eSata

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Enny5, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Enny5 macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

What is the best way to go here i need performance out of my Hard D for HD 1080/24p editing i ma using fcp 7 for editing and mac pro 2009 12 gb ram 2.66 ghz. I am thinking going with raid 0 instead of esata but is there a difference in speed here?

Thanks

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think you need to do some research on what these terms actually mean. eSATA is essentially an external sata connection. It could be set up as a raid or configured jbod. If you're going to store data in a raid 0, you need a strong backup plan. Raids involve greater complexity in the way they write data. Raids can experience things like data corruption just like a single disk, but if one of your hard drives fails in a raid 0, the data is essentially lost across all drives (thus my suggestion of a good backup strategy).

If you are raiding drives whether you're using a hardware or software based raid solution, you will want to use the same brand, model, and firmware types across all drives. You'll also want to avoid the cheaper drives under any brand including those labeled as green drives.

eSATA would mean you're using a card in that machine to connect to some kind of external enclosure. This can work, but some of them suck so you need to do your research. You would want an enclosure, hard drives, and a host card that all work well together without firmware issues or hanging.

Your post says you need performance but you don't indicate the actual bandwidth needed. Perhaps that would be a good place to start.