Raid 0 Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by inertiat, Apr 11, 2009.

1. inertiat macrumors member

I'm going to be using this setup for video editing and encoding:

1x HDD for OS and program files

3x HDDs in RAID 0 for documents

My question is, if I have my video editing apps on the single HDD (Premiere Pro and After Effects) and work on files which are on the RAID array and encode videos onto the RAID array, will I see a drop in performance because the program itself is on the single drive?

Also, what stripe and clustersize should I use for this kind of work? I'll be using the onboard RAID on my Asus P5N-D.

Thanks

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It's absolutely fine to have the programs on your main drive. As long as you make the raid your scratch disk where you hold all the video files, you're good to go.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

P-Worm

3. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that P-Worm.

I'm wondering, if I did have programs installed in the RAID array instead would that slow things down or speed them up in any way. That would be assuming that there is a way to install Windows on one drive and then have programs files on the RAID - is that possible? (I'm using Vita 64)

In Vista 64 would there be a way to point the User Folder (with Documents, Music, Pictures etc folders) to the RAID array if the OS is on the single drive?

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, Vista and Mac OS have different file systems, so you can't use the same drive to store files from each operating system. What are you going to be doing with this RAID? If you want to make Final Cut faster, I would dedicate the RAID to just video files. One thing that can slow drives down is the number of files on the drive. For example, it would take longer to search through 10,000 small text documents than it would through 100 large movie files even though the space they take up is the same.

It would be a good idea to keep all of the documents (like the FCP project files) on your main drive and then store all of your footage on the RAID.

P-Worm

5. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I'm only using Vista 64, its a PC.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll grab a few of the new 7,200.12 Barracuda drives, reviews point to very good average write speeds :)