Raid 0 slice failure

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrCobra, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MrCobra macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2012
    Crappy thing just happened. I have 3 3TB internal drives setup in RAID 0. I was converting a video file in Compressor when I got a warning that my disk had been ejected improperly. I noticed my RAID set was gone. I opened up disk utility and saw that 2 of the disks/slices seemed to be ok, but listed as offline, while 1 of the slices was labeled as missing. I'm assuming that 1 of the disks died.
    I do have a backup of the data, but it is a couple of months old. I'd like to recover as much as I can, though. Is there any option before I send out to a Data Recovery center? Is there a way to somehow create an image of the bad drive, even if it is seemingly not mounting, to a new one and swap them out? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
  2. slughead macrumors 68040

Apr 28, 2004
    First off, a scolding is in order: Why in the world would you do such a thing? 3TB drives are incredibly prone to failure. By doing a RAID 0 x 3 drives, you have multiplied that risk times 3. If you keep a Time machine backup, that's one thing, but without backup, that's very dangerous.

Second: I think you will likely need to send the drive into a company.. Ask them if they need the other 2 in order to recover the data. I'm not sure how it works with stripes, you may have lost everything.
  3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

Dec 7, 2009
    You'd need advanced tools and knowlegde to recover your data. Read chapter "What to Do If Your RAID 0 Array Fails?" for what-not-to-do to make recovery possible.
  4. slughead macrumors 68040

Apr 28, 2004
    Great page. I'm just going to dump the text here