RAID 0 vs Raptor for scratch disc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, May 29, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I have 2 x 1TB WD Blacks in software RAID 0 that I store my footage on as well as use for a scratch disc but I notice that Premiere, Bridge and Photoshop seem to wait on that disc. Am I better off with a new SATA3 Raptor 600GB drive for that work?
    I have an intel SSD for a boot drive, so I know it's not that

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Is Creative Suite on your SSD?

I don't think you'll see much of an increase with a SATA III drive. As I understand it, SSDs benefit much more from SATA III than mechanical harddrives, which don't even saturate SATA II's bandwidth.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Software raid is your biggest issue! You would get better results from a single drive (raptor) with less wait time.

4. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

that's what I thought. I have to wait a few months before I can erase and split the RAID 0. I just saw that WD came out with a 1TB Raptor!! Sick!
    That's the kind of space and density I need.

5. qveda macrumors regular

I have a MacPro with 2 internal drives (Mac HD, and Data). For Photoshop and Lightroom, I set Preferences to point to the Data drive for Scratch space.

Is it recommended to have a separate partition, or even a dedicated drive for Scratch disc that is not used for anything else ?

6. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

anything but the OS drive is better. My scratch disc has my media on it too.

7. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

If you want to and have the space for it, then hey, why not install a dedicated scratch drive? :) But AFAIK it should be fine to use your media drive as a scratch disk too.

8. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

yeah, it seems to work fine, i think it has more to do with my software RAID than anything else.

9. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

I haven't ever used software RAID so I can't contribute anything in that arena, but have you considered maybe doing the RAID 0 setup using a couple of SSDs instead of the WD drives? Seems to me that a couple of SSDs would saturate the SATA II connection a lot more (or at least somewhat more) than the WDs would, even using software RAID.

Of course this is all academic for me at this point because, as I mentioned, I've never used the software RAID feature before. :)

10. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

SSD's = $$$$$$$$
    I am working on 10 projects right now and am eating up 250GB just in media. That does not include the render files. So for now, Raptors seem like a good idea.

11. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Dont get Raptors, get SSDs. Sure they are expensive, but if you sell your current raptors, they will help with the purchase.

12. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I am using WD blacks, not raptors. The blacks I want to keep for back up storage.