RAID 0 wise on Macbook with dual internal SSD's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

for those with another hard drive in the optical bay (either optibay or equivalent) I was wondering if going with RAID 0 is wise considering the issues some are having with updating firmware and sleep issues on some of these SSD's.

I am looking to do a dual SSD on my 13" uMBP when it comes in but wondered how you all are working with your set up.

thanks

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

my setup is rocking, no sleep issues, bootcamp setup and operating smoothly.

had some workarounds...but not a big deal at all, very stable and no errors and such yet.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

can someone tell me if there is any performance benefit in doing raid0 in the 13" mbp if the sata interface is only 1.5? I would think that the cap would severely effect any performance you would get from a raid0 setup.

4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Since data is on both disks and reading in parallel I am going to guess that with almost any SSD it will hit the threshold when doing a copy for sure. Random reads however may still see a great benefit and not quite hit the SATA I limit.

I was reading an article earlier where on 4K random reads, Intel SSD which is the fastes capped out at 54Mbps which is short of the cap. Random reads is what makes things 'snappy' when opening apps and the like.

Something I am very seriously considering, even if I do dual 250GB HDD's (although I want to do dual 128 SSD's)

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the benifit would be the same on my sata 2 unibody, the overspeed you would never use would be around 350mbsec

the random read and writes inscrease significantly.

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

sorry to hijack but is it possible to have use one ssd and one hdd in a raid 0?

7. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

I think the only requirement is the two drives should be the same size otherwise u 'waste' the space. I do not think it being SSD or HDD is an issue outside of speed. It will be slower in that config.

8. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

What sort of benchmarks do you get with your setup?

9. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

That makes no sense.

Use two SSD's, preferably identical. Then no worries about loss of data.

10. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner

I did it on my uMB and posted stats here. I have no issues running 10.5.8 with dual 80GB Intel (first gen) in RAID 0.

Running SL, sleep no longer functions. More to come when I run 10.6.2 to see if it fixes the problem.

11. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

Update, for those that might care.

Am running 10.6.8 and still have the sleep issues even though it is a clean install (this is an app only machine, storage is done externally). Due to heavy app usage, I decided to update. This gave me the ability to run 8 GB RAM. I am scheduled to rebuild the machine at the end of the month (I do this regularly because I'm anal about it for some reason). Each time I've refreshed, I see a big performance gain of course.