Raid 0 With SSD and Trim

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prime85, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2012
    I want to remove my optical drive and add another samsung 830 SSD in a Raid 0 configuration.

1st ..... will this make a noticeable difference in speed? (for example my MBP now boots in 16 Seconds, if i do a Raid 0 with another SSD will it boot faster?)

2nd..... all the research i have done shows that Trim cant be used in a Raid configuration. Is this still the case today?

3rd.... will my failure rate increase running two 512gb 830 SSD's?
  2. brand macrumors 601

Oct 3, 2006
    How often do you reboot to need to save a few seconds? If you power off your MBP after each use then you are using it wrong.

Yes and you would loose everything without a proper backup.
  3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I doubt it would make a significant difference, the only thing truly noticeable could be the boot that's a couple of seconds quicker. At this point does it make a real difference though? Would you count seconds every time you boot and be like "Yes, only 13 seconds!". You would probably waste more time by asking this question on a forum, buying and installing the SSD than what you would save in booting time over the remaining life of your MBP.

512GB SSD also isn't super cheap. I would spend my money on other things in life. If you feel like blowing money just buy your gf/wife/parents a nice gift or something. But hey it's your money not mine.
  4. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks for the help! Instead of buying the SSD i will replace my optical drive with the 750GB HHD that came with my MBP and use it as a media drive to save space on my SSD.

Thanks to both of you, you were a big help!