RAID 1 and a weird external HDD problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clarkjames, Mar 21, 2010.

1. clarkjames macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2010

having some strange HDD issues with my macbook pro,
    I have a 400gb external which has been working fine for about 2 years, but now it takes a while to mount- about 5 minutes, but weirdly it goes dead slow when it's first mounted (system profiler confirms it's mounted as usb 1.0 11mb/s) but after 20 minutes it clicks into usb 2 and runs at the full 480mb/s
    the drive works at full speed when taken out the enclosure, and if the caddy is plugged into a powered usb hub it works right away (at full speed), so my only guess is the power supply?

Raid 1- had a hard drive failure the other week (did manage to save all the data thanks to data rescue 3) and it got me thinking about raid- I know everyone hates on raid 1 because it "won't keep your data safe in case of a power spike, or if a giant lizard comes down from space and smashes your drives into dust"- but it's better than nothing, and nothing is exactly what I have right now
    i'm thinking 2tb lacie (because it looks pretty...), but rather than set it up as a 2x1tb raid 1 setup, to set it up so each drive is independent, where each drive has a 750gb and a 250gb partition, then make nightly ghosts of the 750gb partition onto the other drive, and use the 250 gb partitions as photoshop/final cut scratch disks and time machine backup (for my 160gb internal drive) respectively- is this retarded, or a good use of space

p.s. for a photoshop scratch disk, would I see better performance off a firewire 800 drive set up like I plan to, or to upgrade my internal drive to a 7200rpm?

also, is there any plugin/hack which allows folder merging- it's the one thing I miss from windows, my music collection got screwed because of the lack of merge! had to rerip 30gb of CD's :(

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2007
    51.50024, -0.12662
    im thinking maybe your enclosure is screwed not the hard drive.

also search around the forums about merge. Finder doesnt merge folders.