RAID 1 Degraded -- need advice -- Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pfleischman, Mar 24, 2009.

1. pfleischman macrumors member

I have a simple mirrored raid setup (just two 1TB drives) with a 1TB Time Machine Drive. I ran Repair Disk Permissions last night and then shut down (Onyx told me to after it scanned my startup volume).

Today I unplugged my MacPro (it was already off) to plug in another computer for a few min, and when I brought it back up it took a while to boot so I went into disk utility and it started rebuilding the RAID.

Why all of a sudden would this happen? I am worried, because this computer is my livelihood. The Time Machine Drive is up-to-date, so i'm not sh*ting my pants right now. Any recommendations on backing up hundreds of gigs of photos? I was thinking of getting a Blue Ray burner.

2. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

I have had this happen twice now.
    I have 2 x 1TB external WD My Book drives in simple mirror RAID, and twice now I have opened disk util, and it has said the RAID was degraded. The machine then proceeded to rebuild the RAID for the next 3 days.

At the end all data was intact, lost nothing, and I was able to still use the drives during the rebuild.

3. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

sometimes the raid will break and it could be the drive, but opening up diskutil has always fixed the issue for me. Sometimes i would have to boot off the leopard disk and run diskutil that way.

4. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

What does the SMART status say?

I've had a problem on a Linux box relating to a MD RAID1 set falling apart every boot. For some reason it hadn't written the set's ID string to the superblock of the disk that was being dropped.

That said, I have no idea how Mac OS X's software RAID works.