RAID 1 for external Harddrives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by meulemaster, Feb 2, 2009.

?

How dumb is this question?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2010.
  1. OMG!!!! I cannot believe you were smart enough to get a mac and then ask such a dumb question!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have heard dumber!

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Mwoah, not everyone is as smart as me!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Not dumb at all buddy!! that's whay we are here:)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. meulemaster macrumors member

Hello experts :) Colonel Noob here,

I have a question concerning backing up my data. So here is the deal.

I currently have a 2TB WD mirror edition that is setup in RAID 1 so it will mirror all my data. Now I also have a bunch of other drives laying around which I also feel the need to back up and currently I am doing this by doing a whole bunch of dragging and dropping and copying and pasting etc etc etc and this is making me very tired.

I know that a setup is possible in disk utility but I am not at all sure about how to configure it so I wont lose any of my data.

Some details about my setup:

Mac OS X 10.5.6
    PowerPc G5
    Harddrives: two 1TB WD MyBooks, and two 500gig WD Mybooks --> these pairs need to mirror each other and make my life less of a hassle.

Any suggestions?Tips?

And I apologize if this is a really dumb question....

Cheers,

Colin from Holland

2. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

3. rylin macrumors 6502

The easy way out when backing up large amounts of data is to use:
    * More harddrives, if you want to be able to access everything with short notice
    * Tape, if you don't mind having to wait while the tapes are seeking and uncompressing your data

For the harddrive solution, have a look at QNAP's products.
    They'll handle RAID, iSCSI, CIFS/SMB, NFS etc. at a reasonable price.

Personally, I'm considering a QNAP TS-509 or 609, though I might opt to build my own instead.

Or do you just want to archive your current disks to the 2TB unit?

Always keep in mind that RAID is not backup -- it's for reliability and/or performance.

If this isn't the answer you're looking for, I'm afraid I didn't quite understand the question :eek:

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

I think you're likely to have a performance hit with the RAID 1. I would rather just build an external case with good cooling and a proven, top of the line server drive, then use Time Machine. The idea here is you'll have a backup solution that's less likely to fail, plus have the ability to go back to a specific date and fix a user generated oops. Can't do that with RAID. Like said, RAID isn't a backup. It's operational redundancy. If you need even more reliability than a HDD, go tape.

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

lol server drive... Modern SATAs are stupidly reliable.

Your performance hit is not going to be noticeable. Did you hear someone say they noticed a performance hit? They were lying, or they're insane.

save your money, use a RAID 1.

Disk utility has a software RAID option that works just fine. It does RAID0 and RAID 1. I guess you want RAID1.

as for transferring your data beforehand, you can probably make an image of the drive with disk util, but that'd be huge.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Raid 1 does incur a small performance hit as data is written and then verified.

You really should Google mfp and server drives before giggling about a topic you don't seem to understand.

A little punctuation and capitilization goes a long way so people don't immediately read your post as having come from a 12 year old.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yet not as reliable as server drives.

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

To the OP: This is very important:

What exactly do you want to accomplish? Knowing that would help give a better answer.

9. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I know two things about server drives: They cost 3 times as much, and they're not 3 times as reliable. There is no reason for someone not running a server to not just use a RAID 1 (or even Time Machine and no RAID, for chrissake).

This, as far as we know, is an average person. Why are server drives a necessity??

That's what I was saying. I can giggle about server drives all I want: they're over-priced and nobody but eccentric weirdos and big corporations should use them.

Did I say ANYTHING that was false? No. I'm telling this guy to use a RAID 1 or time machine, and guess what? he'll probably be fine with it. The end.

Thanks for that! Clearly, I care!