RAID 1 for Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dvkid, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dvkid macrumors regular

I am setting up Time Machine in an office environment with a handful of computers that will all backup to their own partition on a designated FireWire drive. The reason for the partitions is to keep one computer (namely one of the graphics computers that modifies several large files) from taking up the entire drive.

I've decided on a live backup area of one terabyte. More would be great, but I don't see a lot of options right now as I would also like redundant drives running with RAID 1 so that the data is mirrored across two drives.

My choice for drive (as of right now, as I haven't found a better option) is the LACIE 2big Triple http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10967 with the idea being that I buy an extra 1 TB drive or two for it and use them to swap out so that I always have a copy of our backups offsite for emergencies.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Other drives that would work? I'm not against using another brand of drive as I have had mixed experiences with Lacie in the past.

I was trying to keep it on a RAID of 2 drives as my limited understanding of RAID suggests that if I did that I would then need a total of 4 drives with two each going off site each night.

2. GregE macrumors 6502

3. dvkid thread starter macrumors regular

I had checked out Newer Tech's stuff as I'm a big fan of OWC and usually buy my Mac stuff there.

My preference for the hot swappable is that I can pull out the second drive and replace it and it have it automatically rebuild from the remaining drive instead of rebuilding the entire TM backup over my CAT5 network (SLOW!!).

Looks like the Lacie is the best bet here. And if I take good care of it hopefully I won't have any issues.

Drobo looks amazing. If there was a FireWire version available I would absolutely get one. Oh well...

4. GregE macrumors 6502

I understand now. I wasn't thinking of you only pulling one drive out. It will will take some time to rebuild the array.

Good luck.