Raid 1 format recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Jul 20, 2015.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi All, I accidentally formatted a RAID 1 mirror (2x3TB, almost full) and need to recover the data. I haven't written anything to it yet.

I did a quick format. Any help appreciated!

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Since the data is still on the other drive, I think Disk Utility will repair the raid automatically as long as that drive remains part of the set.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have 2 drives in a RAID 1 and each one is a slice.

I formatted the main partition that has both drives combined.

Attached Files:

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I am not a RAID expert. RAID 0 slices the data between two drives. In your case, with two 3TB drives, you would end up with a 6TB RAID volume. RAID 1 mirrors the data between two drives. Each contains a complete copy of the data. In your case, two 3TB drives would combine to form a 3TB RAID volume. When you referred in your original post to a RAID 1 mirror, I assumed the two drives were copies of each other. If, in fact, you have a RAID 0 set, you've lost everything on the RAID volume and you must restore from backup. RAID is not a backup solution. You should have a backup solution for your RAID.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It is a RAID 1, aka mirrored. Should I take out one of the drives and attach it to another mac just to see if I can see the data?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Your data should be intact. All you need to do is add the newly formatted drive to your RAID. Here are Apple's instructions for doing that: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5828 When you drag the new disk to your RAID, be sure to choose RAID Slice.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

This isn't how mirrored RAIDs work. They are not backup. If you format the RAID volume, both disks are erased.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Good point. I interpreted the original post to mean that he formatted one disk of the pair. If he formatted the entire RAID, then yes his data is gone--time to restore from backup.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

But I formatted not one of the disks (the slices), but the main partition that contains both drives. If I add a new one, it will be recovered? The data is there, but Im worried I lost it because its part of a RAID even though its not RAID 0.

Yes.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Your data is erased from the disks. You can do one of two things: restore from backup, or try a data recovery utility or service. You can try the standard Mac utilities, like Data Rescue, but there's no guarantee it will work.

11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't have a backup :((((((

OH MAN IM GONNA HAVE A HEART ATTACK

12. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I think your data is gone. Without a backup, I think your best hope is one of the very expensive data recovery services. There are apps that advertise their ability to recover files, but I have no experience with them. Search the net:

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com
    http://www.cleverfiles.com/partition-recovery.html
    http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com

13. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Currently running Stellar Phoenix and Data Rescue.
    Wish me luck guys.

I was half asleep and running Disk Utility, a word of advice, don't do that.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

What you really mean to say is "don't run without a backup."

15. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The whole point of raid 1 is to have a backup.

But this is a user error.

16. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

In a number of cases (most) SoftRAID has been able to. The support has been outstanding from day #1.

I tell people to use a 3-drive mirror, not the minimal. Pull one for "backup" / archive or off-site. SoftRAID has more features, faster background rebuilds, checks drive integrity during idle, use all drives in a mirror for reads so that helps performance during read IOs.

You can download the demo, check the guides, and DO contact support@softraid.com

17. chabig macrumors 68040

I used to run the same three drive setup using Disk Utility. It works just fine.

18. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Im in the process of recovering from a heart attack because I just lost, 900,000 files.

HFS+ sucks. I can't even recover file structures.

I remember back in the day I recovered an NTFS partition and I was able to bring back the file structure etc.

19. chrfr macrumors 603

No, the point of RAID 1 is to protect against hardware failure.

20. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You're getting super technical here.

I am asking for help. I made a mistake. Have no offsite backup.

I was able to use some recovery apps but all the file structure is gone and file names

this is useless.

21. chrfr macrumors 603

This is typical of recovery from formatted Mac disks. You may want to contact a data recovery service like Drivesavers, but they'll likely be unable to retrieve anything but loose files either, and it will cost significant money.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

He's not just being technical. He's 100% correct. I posted several links that explain why RAID is not a backup. If the loss of 900,000 files doesn't sway your opinion, I don't know what will.

23. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I may be lucky, I tried Data Rescue 4 using "lost files" not "deep scan" and it found all the structures. Cross my fingers. Going to run a full recovery now it will take 14 hours.

Of course he is 100% correct. I am not arguing that at all.

This was a local drive set which I never touch. I work off a RAID 6 that's running off dell servers and there's a daily tape backup done on multiple tapes. But this was an anomaly since I made the mistake.