RAID 1 Not Working - Have you seen this before?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hoya87eagle91, Jun 1, 2010.

1. hoya87eagle91 macrumors member

With the recently configured Raid 1 array in my MP, I can't locate movie or music files on these disks when I use iMovie or iTunes.

When I attach my backup drive, the data appears seamlessly. Even Applecare can't figure out why (yet...they are "working on it") . Has anyone else experienced this? Could I have made a formatting mistake when creating the array Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct it?

As a last ditch measure, I assume I can reformat both of the RAID 1 disks and recopy data from my back up drive to that array?

thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm thinking it's definitely a software issue, and why you got the response you noted from Apple's Support Dept. (I presume the mirror is via Disk Utility, which further makes it a software problem vs. an actual RAID card, which doesn't involve the OS in the creation or operation of the array itself).

You could try to test the disks in a stripe set (RAID 0), and see if the problem is repeated. This will at least tell you if it's the entire RAID functionality that's borked, or if it's just RAID 1. Single disks would work, and essentially be your control group (and in a worst case scenario, given current hardware, at least will allow you to access the content on the primary data location/s).

Another solution would be to get a proper hardware RAID card, and implement the array on that instead (this could also mean new drives to be sure they're compatible with the card, depending on which model you decided on). But as a general rule, consumer grade disks will NOT work properly (unstable), as the recovery timings in the firmware are wrong for a hardware RAID card. Enterprise disks also have additional sensors to prevent physical damage to the platters, and better ratings, such as a higher MTBF and UBE (Mean Time Between Failure and Unrecoverable Bit Error respectively). And these other differences do matter in a system that's meant for high availability and reliablility.

Consumer disk = 0,0 (read, write; values in seconds)
    Enterprise disk = 0,7

As per the last part, Yes, you can re-install your data from the backup, whether you re-create an array, or use them as single disks.

Hope this helps. :)