Raid 1 Setup (Lacie 4big)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by malfaris, Apr 29, 2010.

1. malfaris macrumors newbie

I bought this Hard drive under the impression that its going to be easy install. I went through the manual steps to install all went ok to last step which is partition and format using Disk Utility. now i dont know what to do, is the hard drive going to do the Raiding, or I have to setup using Raid tap in Disk Utility? I tried doing Raiding using Disk Utility but couldnt do it, i thought maybe i cant because its hardware raid or :confused:
    i searched until my head exploded, and I feel its easy but i am not getting something tiny here.
    thanks

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I skimmed their website and as best I can tell, it's a hardware RAID, so you don't need to do any software RAIDing from the disk utility.

3. malfaris thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so much scoobyMcDoo, i thought nobody will reply. thats why the manual didn't say anything about Raiding using disk utility only partition and format. I made two partition so one is mirror to the other, however when i copy one file to one of them i don't see it in the other, arent supposed to be written to both? what i am doing wrong here?
    thanks

4. lstone19 macrumors member

It sounds like you took the logical drive you were seeing and partitioned it, then expected to see everything you copied to one partition magically appear in the other partition. That's not how this drive works. When configured for RAID 1, the drive presents itself to OS X as a single drive half its advertised capacity. OS X knows nothing about it being RAID 1 - that all hidden from OS X. I have a similar LaCie "Raid in a Box" drive. Mine is a 2big 1TB model so somewhat different that your 4big. When it's set (using the key switch on the back - see the manual) to RAID 1, it appears logically to be a single 500GB disk. You will not see two separate volumes for copy 1 and copy 2.

If the drive volume you are seeing is half the advertised size, then it is in RAID 1 configuration. If it is the full advertised size or you see multiple logical disks, then you are have it in some other configuration. Other than the indicator lights on the back, there is no way beyond that to see that it is set as RAID 1 because as I said, OS X knows nothing of it being RAID.

Now, and continuing with my 1TB drive, that logical 500GB drive can then be partitioned just like any other drive using Disk Utility. In my case, I have it partitioned 125/125/250. Each of those partitions are duplicated in the box but again, that's all hidden from OS X.

So how do you know if one the physical disks has gone bad? Assuming what you have works the same as mine, that big blue light on the front will be red or flashing red. Lights on the back will tell you which drive failed. Meanwhile, OS X knows nothing of the failure as the drive is still presenting the good drive as the same logical drive it always has. Assuming one of the drives is toast, get a replacement. I think they're even hot-swappable so when you get the replacement, you just plug it in and let the software in the drive box take care of doing the needed copying.