Raid 1 - What to move, how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoshFink, Oct 18, 2007.

1. JoshFink macrumors regular

OK.. Forgive me if this is a really basic question.

I like having all my files backed up and protected (i.e. kids videos, photos, etc). With that said I have 2 - 750GB hard drives in a Raid 1 setup using FW800.

I would like to know if there is a way to move my home directories, etc over to the raided drives rather than leave them on the main partition on my iMac. I have a 500GB drive as the main drive and it's not protected at the moment.

How would I go about changing the directory structures over to recognize the new drives? Should I bother putting the applications on the new drive?

Thanks

Josh

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You should be able to clone the whole hdd over to the RAID. Use Carbon Copy Cloner.

If you just want your files and not the OS/apps, then just copy your user folder over to the RAID. The structure will remain the same, but you'll need to relink some stuff I think (itunes files and the like).

3. JoshFink thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I'm not looking to clone a drive. I'm looking to set up an external drive in Raid 1 so that when I move items to my data drive I have a redundant set of data.

Josh