Raid and boot camp question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EmbraceNext, Feb 11, 2008.

1. EmbraceNext macrumors member

I have a config i would like to have with my new Mac Pro. I have the raid card in so all 4 bays are plugged up to it. What I would like to do, is to have the first 3 bays on the raid card in a raid 5. Then for the 4th bay, have it plugged up to a SATA port for windows to be installed on.

If you don't know the reason why I ask, is if you want to install windows in boot camp, it doesn't support the raid card.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Mark

2. mac666er macrumors regular

The specific setup you mentioned is not possible. This is because the RAID card overrides the SATA controler on the board but uses the wiring for the 4 internal drives. So as long as you have the RAID card installed and the 4 drives in the internal bays you can't do that.

However, some people are trying to put a hard drive on the 5 1/4 inch bay on the front of the machine, however I haven't seen a thread that has succeeded in using bootcamp on these setups.

For an alternative of doing bootcamp while having the RAID card and the 4 drive bays being used look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384459&page=4

mac