Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Charms

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm getting a new Mac Pro, and I really want a RAID 5 setup. The RAID 5 will be for Time Machine backups, and archives of my files. So nothing I need access to immediately, but still, every now and again I grab something off the drive. It's not going to be my system drive, or my working drive.

I've thought about a Drobo, but the USB connection is holding me back, plus, it's just more clutter. I figure since I paid all this money for a tower, I might as well have everything be internal.

Sooo, my question, is what's the best RAID 5 card on the market? And is it worth paying apple $800 for theirs?

Toups

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Unfortunately at this time, there are no 3rd party supported either officially or unofficially at this time :-(

Toups

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Come on now, we all know that's not true.

It is true unfortunately if you plan to run the OS from the RAID unfortunately. Keep in mind, if you are looking for an enterprise 256mb cache RAID card from a 3rd party, prices range from 250 for the low end up to 1000+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.