RAID card for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by valdore, Jan 20, 2008.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Can someone point me in the direction of a good RAID card for my mac pro - I need it to accommodate RAID 5 and to work with OSX. The only one I could find on Newegg that specifically states it supports RAID 5 AND OSX at the same time came out to $309. If there is a good RAID card out there that does the same thing but for less, please let me know.

2. Toups macrumors regular

I believe that the 3rd party RAID cards do not support installing the OS on a a RAID array but I could be mistake. If you run the OS on a separate drive, there are several RAID cards that will support OSX for secondary partitions for files/swap.

If this is in fact supported it will make a LOT of happy customers out there, but then again I bought the Apple RAID card when I placed my system order.

If you try it, let us know!

3. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

I did find one RAID controller that supports OS X and RAID 5...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115026

I'm hoping this one will work, as I'm too poor to afford a thousand dollar Apple controller right now.

4. Jonny427 macrumors regular

5. Toups macrumors regular

6. golding2 macrumors newbie

There's the card from Accusys (I'm pretty sure it's the one for $309 that you were talking about). I talked with some guys from Accusys at MacWorld last week and they said that their card was totally compatible with OS X and showed me a demo.

I bought the card and it fits in the slot and everything, but there is a problem with the iPass (mini sas) cable. The cable isn't long enough to reach the RAID card. The Apple RAID card is a much longer card and extends all the way to the heat sync. The Accusys card is about half as long as the Apple RAID card and so the iPass cable can't get there. Does anyone know if there is some kind of cable I can purchase to extend the iPass cable to the smaller RAID cards?

7. Rick Here macrumors member

Does this card have a battery? If not, expect data loss if you lose power or purchase a battery backup unit.