Raid card for Macpro v1.1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sejanus, Mar 10, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

hi guys

I have the first macpro, the dual x dual 2.66ghz

I want to give it a bit of a speedbost with hardware raid0. I've been searching through threads about raid cards but there are so many mentioned - Can anyone tell me what raid card would be a good one to grab?

Basically I'm going to put a 10k rpm drive as the bootup drive then want to do raid0 over the remaining 3 drive bays with 3 x 1tb drives.

thanks

2. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Hmm, well...

OK, I've got a MacPro1,1 as well, and here's what I did:

- 2 Seagate 7200.11 750GBs in a software RAID 0 as the boot drive

- single Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 as a Time Machine drive.

Will hardware RAID be faster? probably a little. Will it really matter? No - not for the $600 you'll pay for it. Just set it up in software first and see how you like it.

I did, and it's a screamer.

JP

3. scaley macrumors member

I had a similar search going on and just purchased a Highpoint RocketRaid 4320 for my 2x2.8 Mac Pro. While I haven't received it yet, my review of everything on the previous forum posts seems like most people are recommending RocketRaid cards, Areca cards, or Caldigit. Anyway, the RocketRaid I purchased is on sale for $329 on newegg now. I'll let you know how it works out. I've got a parallel thread going here about some issues with configuration if any of that helps. Still trying to figure this all out myself.