RAID Card on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chelseasian, Oct 23, 2007.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am about to order a mac pro and I am planning to add another two 750GB internal drives (not from Apple) into it. Since I am using it mainly for video work, and according to Apple's site, it is recommended to add a RAID Card, but I am not sure if it is necessary. Currently I have 4 external HDDs attached via FW800, and they are not RAIDed and I have not experienced any problems for the past 2 years. So I am wondering if adding a RAID Card will make any difference?

I appreciate any input.

Thank you. :)

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

At $1000, I wouldn't do it. Others who have experience with the card will be able to give you a better opinion though (I just use a mirror software RAID that's included with the system).

3. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Just use the internal bays for software raid.

Put your system disk and a backup it (Bays 1+2=Raid 1) and then put 2 disks to bays 3+4 and raid0 them together. So basically you have a 0+1.

With your material on 2 disks you should get about 150MB/s speeds?
    If not enough,put all 4 drives together in Raid0 so you should have about 300MB/s speeds. That should be enough for 10bit uncompressed HD?
    Then put a disk in the 2nd dvd bay via satacable to the mobos free sata slot. There you can put your system disk.
    For backup,use some external fw drives.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

that would not be RAID0+1... that would be a RAID0 and a RAID1.

RAID0+1 is a RAID0 that mirrors another RAID0.

but yeah. until ZFS is completely integrated into leopard for non-developers, I would just do a software RAID with two of the bays.

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Correct.
    Was in a hurry when typed that,so didnt have time to do it proper..

And yes,that ZFS will be a awesome thing when it is up and working properly.
    But,before it is mature enough, I propably wouldn dare to use it.

Even if I am using Raid10 in my MP at the moment...