RAID Controller for Windows in a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xbar, May 31, 2009.

1. xbar macrumors newbie

Can I install a Raid Controller and connect say two drives to it, specially for windows? Will it be bootable?

Or perhaps even connect the iPass of the four internal bays to an Adaptec 5405 and get a separate cable for my Mac Drive. Will both be bootable? What if I just want to boot Windows for now? Will there be a solution?

I sometimes need to convert my early 2008 mac pro into a rather beefy Windows workstation and the lack of HW Raid is rather irritating.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

1. Yes, there are RAID controllers that not only work in a Mac and operate Windows (drivers), but some do boot. :D

2. Yes, of such cards, most in fact can handle the iPass cable (MiniSAS*4i). Adaptec won't work however. I assume you mean to attach the Mac drive via one of the ODD_SATA ports. So yes, it will boot OS X. It would have a problem under windows, unless you install AHCI drivers. Nor do you HAVE to run OS X. Another member or two have gone Windows or Linux ONLY. :)

Actually, the '06 - '08 MP's aren't that bad for an internal RAID, provided you don't require more drives than can be fitted.

As for RAID controllers, take a look at Areca, Highpoint Technology, and Atto Technology. Between these, you should be able to find a few that would suit your specific needs. :)

Good Luck. :D