RAID enclosure help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hitek79, Mar 26, 2012.

1. hitek79 macrumors member

So I need some type of external storage solution for my laptop, but everything I'm looking at seems to be set up for eSATA only. Am I missing something? I would assume that FW is the easiest to set up with my MBP? Not looking for crazy performance, just something that's solid.

2. WRP, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

You lose the benefit of the speed of a RAID with Firewire. But if you go to OWC, get one of these and set it up as RAID 5 via FW800 you will get decent speed and parity backup. Not super safe but safer than no parity and better speed than mirrored.

And you could have asked on TGR... I would have answered there as well. ;)

3. hitek79 thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha, thanks man.

I don't really have a choice on eSata do I, since I have a laptop? Even FW800 has to be a vast improvement over my 5400rpm system drive that I'm using currently.

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

FW800 is great and plenty fast.
    G-Data seems to make good stuff.
    Is this the kind of storage that you are going to back your stuff up and then keep it off all other times?

5. hitek79 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, here's kind of the longer version.

I'm working on a video project for work, but I'm a newb with editing. I have a Mac Pro that I use at work, but sometimes I get an idea or just need to get some extra work done on the weekends, I want to be able to work from my house, but doing even the smallest tasks on my laptop takes forever. I don't expect it to be as fast as my Pro, but I need to not feel like my life is ticking away waiting for something to play back. The majority of the time the RAID enclosure will just be sitting powered down.

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

If you want something portable and have everything backed up at work I would get a two drive striped raid and leave it at home. That way you can have a backup of the footage at work and at home and just gmail yourself the newest versioned project back and forth (or use a thumb drive). It will be redundant, fast and super easy.

I would get whatever capacity you need in this drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/PerformanceRAID It's got FW400, FW800, USB2.0, eSata connections.