Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Does this mean the drive itself failed, or that the filesystem or something else software- based failed?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 92

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Drive failed.

If you select the drive in the slice, it should tell you the SMART status at the bottom of the window.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
OK, here's the weird thing - I unplugged the drive that "failed" and the other drive. I rebooted and plugged them back in. The drive that "failed" is now mounting just fine and it seems that it got removed from the RAID. Now, the other drive doesn't mount.

Now I don't know what's wrong, but I moved my data off of the drive that works onto another external... should I try reformatting the drives?

And Disk utility says "SMART Status: Not Supported" so I'm not sure what to do.

Since they're acting weird like that I think it's just an OS error (which almost cost me a few GB of data!)

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
The sad thing is that these drives aren't even a month old yet. I reformatted them and I have my data backed up on a third drive.

Is there any way besides removing the drive and plugging it into a PC's SATA port to check SMART status? Preferably on my Mac :) (BTW they're USB drives in case it matters) [Edit: Google says no...]

I actually planned on using these drives to do offsite backup, but I decided to put them into a RAID for some temporary storage. Do you think that it's still safe to keep using them?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think it's in your best interest to get them attached as internal drives however you can and check the SMART status. While it's not 100% reliable, it's fairly reliable and if it says that one of those disks is anything but "verified".. get it replaced and save yourself a headache down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.