RAID Failing one slice and then other

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macmacmac888888, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Macmacmac888888, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

Macmacmac888888 macrumors newbie

Hi

I am currently working with a Mirrored RAID set including 2 1 TB hard drives. I did not set it up so I may not be sure of all of the details.

When I turn it on, and observe Disk Utility, the first SLICE appears as failed instantly and nothing comes up in finder windows or on the desktop. Then, the second SLICE appears with no remark next to it, and the drive appears on the desktop but not in finder windows. After about 30-60 mins use, the second one fails, prompting a "disk was not ejected properly' message with the red exclamation mark symbol and it remains visible in Disk Utility as failed. It is already dismounted at this point though.

I'm guessing that I should try to rebuild it, but am unable to back it up entirely. Does anyone know what the problem could be, and if a rebuild would help and if that would risk data loss.

Essentially, at the very list, I need one of the slices to be reliable until I can get hold of a new drive but at the moment am worried that I will lose some data.....or everything!

Thanks so much to anyone who can suggest anything at all or share past experiences. I'm on the Thai-Burma border, half way through a crucial shoot of a film about human rights abuse here and am rapidly running out of space elsewhere!

:confused:

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Can you hook up the drives externally (FW or USB) to see whether they stay mounted or not?

Assuming that you run a software RAID, the initialisation is written to the disks, so the system will most certainly still look for the second drive. However, it might be possible that a single drive on another controller (again, FW or USB) stays mounted so that you can backup your data.