RAID in the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Am I the only one that wants to see a RAID / dual hard drive option in the MacBook Pro? So many PC manufactures are doing this. I think it would be great to order a MacBook Pro with 2x 200GB hard drives linked together for a total of 400GBs, or you could have them mirror each other. Does anybody else agree with me on this or is it just a silly idea?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Eh Apple will figure that out somehow.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I half like the idea, but I thought that a RAID was two backups copying each other... i.e. you have one user drive and 1 backup (with a copy of that too).

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Strictly speaking RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks... but it doesn't always have to be redundant

RAID 0 is striping, so the OS treats 2+ drives as one. This method does exhibit a slight performance increase
    RAID 1 is mirroring, everything on drive 0 is duplicated in real time onto drive 1
    RAID 10 is a combination of the first 2, so you have, say... 4 drives. You mirror them in pairs, and then run said pairs in striped.

RAID 5 is used for 3+ identical drives. You get (n-1) * capacity, where n is the number of drives in use. So if you have 3 500GB drives, you get 1TB of usable space. However, the advantage here is that an entire drive can fail, and the array is still usable. All your data is still there. However, you will want to replace that drive as quickly as you can. Once one drive fails, another failure is statistically not far away

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hehe, you are a funny guy

have you even looked inside a mbp before? its amazing they can fit ONE harddrive in there

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

You can take out the optical drive and add a second one.OptiBay

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

now THAT is nifty

9. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Haha yes, I've seen it but I'm sure they could find some way of shrinking things down to get it to fix.
    Thats a pretty good idea but I need my optical drive, plus I value my warranty.