RAID performance gain for boot drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoYoMa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Hey, I've been booting my mac pro with a couple of 34GB Raptor 10kRPM drives for a long time now and I'd really like to replace them. They are just too small and too loud. What I would like to replace them with is a very fast and very quite drive (or two drives) that will have a good amount of room for a boot drive over the next couple years.

The thing is, I don't want to lose any performance. These drives are very very old (over 4 years old) and have an 8MB cache I think, but they are 10kRPM and combined in a RAID. I'm curious as to how well a new 500GB Samsung would perform speed wise, when compared to this RAID. Also, what about a 32MB cache drive, like the new 1TB Hitachi. Basically I want to keep my speed, but get rid of the noise and get some capacity and I'm looking for the best way to do it. If you guys think another RAID is necessary I'll probably get two 500GB Samsungs, but I'll hate having to store that much info on my boot drive.

Also, I'm not in a hurry. I can wait a few months if some new drives are on the horizon that I should wait for.

2. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, does anyone know how the Samsung Drive compares to the new WD WD5000AAKS?