Raid question on MP 2xquad core 2.7

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maccer58, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Maccer58 macrumors newbie

hi,

I'm running 2x 500gb Seagate barracuda's with software raid0 primarily for video work. I was planning on getting another 500 so that I could get more speed and space out of the Raid. Today I bought a couple of Disk's along with the 500gb I was planning to get, but instead I've bought a 1tb:( If the shop wasn't closed I would've gone straight back and replace it but its too late..

I googled if there were Raid0 setups that had 2x500 and a different drive like a 1tb drive:) and Some place I found out that it would be like having 3x500 gb's..

I don't know if its true but I want to know if this setup would cause problems in the future for me? The only reason I'm asking this question here is that If the 1tb stays I could buy 2 more 1tb's and have a 3gb raid0 setup in the future and put those extra 2x500 gbs on another computer as stuff these days need more space..

Sorry If this is a easy question for you guys but I don't really know enough about raid setups..

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

bottom line I would not be mixing HDD like that for raid 0

if you are trying to get speed with budget and do the raid 0 thing ?
    samsung F3 1TB are a good choice or WD blacks

depending on the 500 gig HDDs you have ? modern say 1TB WD black might be as quick as your Raid 0 ?

I have some older Hitachi 1 TB 4 of them in a raid 1/0 setup and they are just a touch faster than a newer 1TB black that came with the mac pro :)

so might be something to think about when buying new HDD to get newer faster ones as buying two good fast 1TB might be faster than 3 other older HDD ?

3. Maccer58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, I looked into the black series and I wish I got them before I spent on these drives..