RAID Question - Video Editing Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Schkeen, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Schkeen macrumors newbie

I am not so familiar with RAID, but have been doing lots of research and just wanted other opinions. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/627303-REG/PROAVIO_EB4_FR_editBOX_EB4FR_Quad_Interface.html was recommended, along with 4 of these HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284.

This would be connected to my Quad 2.93 for video editing, mostly SD but getting involved in HDV as well. Would be a RAID 5, connected through FW800.

This unit has the built in controller, so I wouldn't need anything else, correct?

Does this sound good?

2. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

It seems to have a eSata interface as well. Why dont you get a eSata card or route a cable from the mobos esata slot to the box? Should get snappier.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Right. Nothing else would be needed.

The pic makes it look pretty flimsy.

RAID5 is not the best solution for video though a 4-drive RAID5 should be OK.

FireWire is too slow for video editing - even FireWire 800.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

It would also be slow. eSATA would be the fastest interface, and can only hit a max throughput of 250MB/s. Also, it can't deal with the write hole issue associated with parity RAID either. Better to stick with non parity, as it's actually driver based.

So eSATA is really the only way to go with this unit.

5. iBeard macrumors regular

HDV uses the same bandwidth that DV does (25 Mbit/s,) so you don't actually need a RAID.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You should say: "So logically, you really shouldn't need a RAID." ;)

Because in the end depending on what software you're using, a RAID can make a HUGE difference. Huge!

8. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I guess it depends on the codec you use for editing?
    That HDV is the raw data that moves but if you transfer that hdv to prores or whatever,then the datarate goes up and through the roof. It can be around 70-100Mbit/s depending what you transfer it to.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

And that's just the stream. One stream. Flip-books and app caches are a different story all together - not to mention most edits use at least 2 streams. Many are 10 or 15. And then if you're IMPing it you break it into image sequences anyway. Very often needed. In fact it's a 100% requirement for cinematic FX!

Get four or five HD 1080P or RED images sequences in something like Motion, AfterFX, Digital Fusion, or any of the 3D apps like Lightwave (soon to be known as "Core"), Maya, or Houdini and see what your disk I/O is like. :D 600 MB/s (mega-bytes) is not enough!