RAID Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mawyatt, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mawyatt macrumors member

I have 2 LaCie 2Big 4TB Thunderbolt drives and would like to configure them into a 4TB RAID 0 stripped configuration mirrored on the other 4TB 2Big. I tried the disk utility that is on the MBPr but could only get them configured as a 8TB RAID 0 or a 8TB combined drive. Anyone know if I can set these two LaCIe 2Bigs up as a 4TB RAID 0 stripped, mirrored drive?

Thanks,

2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

As far as I know, that won't work. If I'm understanding you right, you basically want RAID 1+0 but across two seperate enclosures?

The problem here is, the two enclosures. In order to do RAID 1+0 you need to have all the drives on the same controller, or at least one two controllers designed to talk to each other.

I would suggest doing your RAID 0 setup as you planned, and using backup software to backup the first array (which will appear as one drive) to the second array. Also, I don't think you are going to get 8GB. I think that Lacie 2Big is two 2TB drives is it not? Hitachi is the only company I'm aware of making a 4TB drive and I don't even know if they are shipping yet. Either way, they are $400 a pop, I doubt that's what the 2Big is running. In RAID 0 mode it'll be 4TB, in JBOD mode it'll be 2x2TB, and in RAID 1 it'll be 2TB. That is, unless you meant you want to combine all 4 drives into an 8GB RAID 0, in which case no, you can't do that on two separate controllers. I wouldn't advise it anyway, if you lose one drive you lose ALL of your data. There is a 5% annual fail rate on hard drives, 4 drives each with a 5% chance of failing in their first year (that fail rate increases each year), those are not good odds if your data is important.

3. mawyatt thread starter macrumors member

John,

Thanks for the note. I tried every which way I could think and could not get this to work the way I wanted. The 2Bigs are 2TB 7200rpm Seagate drives. I did try something for fun which I will change. I was able to put all four 2TB drives, two from each 2Big enclosure, into a RAID 0 8TB configuration. I did the Black Magic test and these recorded 497M 515M W/R performance. I loaded some images on this RAID 0 8TB config, and it is really fast!!!

I know I can't leave it this way (4 drive RAID 0), so I'll probably configure into two RAID 0 4TB, one as backup with Time Machine.