Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoLiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Canada
So im checking out the market on SSDs for my Macbook Pro and I've found a few manufacturers differentiate their product lines as "regular" SSDs and Raid-Ready SSDs. The raid ready's being more expensive and having a little less space.

I'm not as tech savvy as I should probably be, so I don't know what Raid or Raid-Ready means and what value it might have. Anyone willing to educate me would be appreciated.

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
So im checking out the market on SSDs for my Macbook Pro and I've found a few manufacturers differentiate their product lines as "regular" SSDs and Raid-Ready SSDs. The raid ready's being more expensive and having a little less space.

I'm not as tech savvy as I should probably be, so I don't know what Raid or Raid-Ready means and what value it might have. Anyone willing to educate me would be appreciated.

+1

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
RAID ready means the SSD is more positioned to be in a RAID array, definitely not something you're going to be doing in a MBP. Just go for a normal SSD.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Have any recommendations?

Any of the Intel G2 Drives (80/160GB), any of the OCZ 2 drives (vertex, agility etc) or any of the Kingston drives. Wouldn't go corsair due to stability and data corruption issues I've heard about popping up after a few months of use.

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Any of the Intel G2 Drives (80/160GB), any of the OCZ 2 drives (vertex, agility etc) or any of the Kingston drives. Wouldn't go corsair due to stability and data corruption issues I've heard about popping up after a few months of use.

What about the OWC Mercury?

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I figured as much. What do you have? Assuming you have one...

Don't have an SSD yet. Waiting til December/January when the next generation of SSDs start to roll out (Better prices, 28nm, more variety in sizes, bigger sizes, newer controllers etc etc).

MoLiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Canada
What about the OWC Mercury?

I was looking at the OWC Mercury Extreme 250gb, its pricy but I did some research on it and it appears to be one of the fastest available, as well as having the longest "life span" of any SSD on the market. I guess SSDs degrade over time or something, this one supposedly doesn't, or at least reduces it to a rate that's barely noticeable.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I was looking at the OWC Mercury Extreme 250gb, its pricy but I did some research on it and it appears to be one of the fastest available, as well as having the longest "life span" of any SSD on the market. I guess SSDs degrade over time or something, this one supposedly doesn't, or at least reduces it to a rate that's barely noticeable.

None of the SSDs with Sandforce controllers has been around for very long. No one really knows how reliable these guys are over time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.