Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I have a new LaCie 2big Triple (2-disk RAID) and I want to use it for backing up my photos in a RAID 0 (safe100).

I turned the tiny screw in the back to Safe100 and now it shows up as one large drive in Disk Utility.
Where do I go from here? The LaCie set up guide sucks and have no example of this.

When I drag the drive to the RAID window in Disk Utility, which RAID type should I use, RAID Slice or Spare?
Do I need to partition the drive?

Any help is appreciated, a online tutorial would be awesome too.

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The RAID in your LaCie is done internally. It does not require you to do anything in Disk Utility. Do not try to set anything up in Disk Utility for RAID.

As soon as you turned the switch to Safe100, it set itself up internally as a Safe100 -- which is mirroring RAID 1 (it will show up as one disk, with 1/2 of the total capacity - that is, if you bought a 1 TB unit, the Safe100 volume size will be 500 GB) --- this is Not RAID 0 as you said.

RAID 0 (what LaCie labels as FAST) is not RAID mirroring at all, but is striping data across both disks of the enclosure --- so if one of the mechanisms fails, you lose ALL of your data on that LaCie. With RAID 0 you get one big disk with all of the capacity.

http://www.lacie.com/download/manual/2bigtriple_en.pdf

Changing the RAID level with the switch on the LaCie will erase all data on the drive.

You want to set the RAID level with the switch first then Partition and format (erase) the volume with your Disk Utility just like any other external hard drive.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Thank you guys.

I meant RAID1 and NOT RAID 0, as I wrote. I want my drive to be mirrored. for extra security for my photos.

When I turn the drive on, it asks my to initiate it, which brings me to Disk Utility. Should I partition the drive as explained on page 18 of the PDF?
Sorry CanadaRAM, if I seem thickheaded, I just want to do this right. :)

It is set to Safe100 on my drive (1TB), but it still shows up as a 936 gig drive, shouldn't it be less than 500 gigs, since it's in mirror mode or will it first change after I partition the drive?

I looked at my manual and it's not the same as the pdf, CanadaRAM gave me and I got mine from the user guide disc. My PDF contains errors, I'm a little shocked by this, I know CD's gets made with mistakes etc, but still. Quality control, please.

siulmanso

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
I have the same problem as you, Dahl. In safe100 mode I have the complete memory instead the half. Have you solved the problem? What can i do?

Also my cd manual doesnt work

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Thank you guys.

I meant RAID1 and NOT RAID 0, as I wrote. I want my drive to be mirrored. for extra security for my photos.

When I turn the drive on, it asks my to initiate it, which brings me to Disk Utility. Should I partition the drive as explained on page 18 of the PDF?
Sorry CanadaRAM, if I seem thickheaded, I just want to do this right. :)

It is set to Safe100 on my drive (1TB), but it still shows up as a 936 gig drive, shouldn't it be less than 500 gigs, since it's in mirror mode or will it first change after I partition the drive?

I looked at my manual and it's not the same as the pdf, CanadaRAM gave me and I got mine from the user guide disc. My PDF contains errors, I'm a little shocked by this, I know CD's gets made with mistakes etc, but still. Quality control, please.

Have you re-partitioned the drive after changing the RAID mode - according to page 23 of the guide...

To change the RAID mode:
- If there is data on the 2big you want to save, back it up to another device.
- Unmount/safely remove the 2big and turn it off.
- Insert a small, flat-blade screwdriver into the groove on the rotary switch and turn the screwdriver to the left or right to select a different mode (Fig. 3.2).
- Turn on the 2big.

IMPORTANT INFO:
- You must partition the disk drives after changing the storage policy configuration. See section 3.3. Partitioning the LaCie 2big Disks

dummy229

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Hi,
I was looking for an answer regarding my LaCie MAX Quadra 2TB with RAID options. And this is the closest RAID product Q&A I could find. Hope you can help me...

I have changed RAID 0 to RAID 1, but because the LaCie Setup Assistant does not appear, I'm partitioning it manually on Disk Utility.

How then do I partition to suit RAID 1?
1 Partition or 2 Partitions?

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.