Raid Setup with RAID-SIL3132-2ES

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by itsthenewdc, Sep 14, 2011.

1. itsthenewdc macrumors member

itsthenewdc

Ideally, I'm trying to set up a Raid 10. I have 3 hard drives currently that have our digital video files on them. So I got an 8-bay raid tower to basically expand the storage capacity, have a mirror, and have it all appear as one drive. So I bought 3 new identical hard drives.. but my question is.. I want to put the 3 new drives in the RAID tower, and move the contents from the 3 old drives, and after that's done, add those 3 old drives as the mirrors to the 3 new ones.

Is this possible? To basically make it a RAID 10, but only starting with the 3 new drives, and adding the other drives later?

2. matspekkie, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

matspekkie macrumors member

raid 10

raid 10 needs a minimum of 4 drives!! raid 5 could work with 3 drives if you don't need ay redundancy raid 0 could work. Raid 1 with 3 drives does not make any sense. so ether buy one more drive and go for raid 10 or use raid 5 if you hardware supports it.

3. itsthenewdc thread starter macrumors member

itsthenewdc

I have a total of 6 drives, but 3 of them are pretty full with content right now.. so I can probably put 4 in initially by moving contents to a small external drive, but ultimately I want striping and mirroring, but need to be able to add the mirror drives later.