RAID Solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xlosltove777, Sep 17, 2009.

1. xlosltove777 macrumors member

Over the past few years I've built up a really ugly and messy storage solution. It includes an iMac(160GB) with 500GB Firewire Drive, 160GB USB Drive, 120GB USB Drive, and 80GB USB Drive all attached. Then a MacBook with 500GB, and then an old Windows Machine with 200GB inside of it connected the network. The only thing backed up is the Macbook because my brother was kind enough to let me use his Time Machine backup drive because he had spare room.

So needless to say, I need a better, more compact, more secure solution. The easiest answer to me seems to be Drobo, which I can get for $310 on Amazon after rebate.
    But I did also see this solution on Newegg, Sans Digital 8 bay enclosure. I would need to get something to be able to connect the eSata to my iMac, luckily Newegg also has this. Now I sorta feel like the Sans Digital option is more expensive and troublesome, but it is 8 bays, which gives me more options in the future. I'd probably first start with 3 2TB drives in RAID 5. Would anyone know how easy/difficult it is to add additional drives to a setup like this?

This is gonna end up being a big purchase for me so any advice is welcome, even if it's suggesting something completely different, I'd appreciate the help.

2. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

MacBook right? Not MBP? If so, get the converter, and something similar. Possibily a drobo? Its about the same price for the small model as that enclosure.

3. xlosltove777 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah MB not the pro, I didn't think I would need things like the express card slot a year ago and preferred the smaller size. I would still probably hook it permanently to the iMac that is always on the desk, always on, and I can access from home thanks to MobileMe's Back to My Mac. So when I'm at school during the day I can just hook up to the network and access everything.

I first I was put back at the price of Drobo, but I looked around and realized it is actually reasonable. It's just the 4 bay vs 8 bay. Does 4-bay and convenience make up for not having the ability to upgrade as much in the future?

4. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

the 4bay is a pretty good one, I havent seen anyone on any forums with an 8bay, just the 4bay. The 4bay supports up to 16TB, which should be enough for your stuff. I think its a lot better then the thing your looking at, because drobo isnt jbod, like the enclosure. I think drobo does a combo of like RAID1+5? It does beyondRAID, which is better than Raid 5/6. I'd get a drobo.

5. Tholian macrumors member

If you want to use a traditional RAID I would look at Quattro from Buffalo. I have set-up several and find they work well, have good connectivity options, have good workmanship and excellent technical support. But I do have to say the technology in the Drobo looks cool, though I have never used one.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are comparing a Drobo with a bare metal box with a power supply inside. It's not a fair comparison. Of course the metal box is cheaper.

Have you loked at performance. I don't know what you are storing. maybe you have a video camera and you are editing? Does all the data need to live on a fast drive or just some of it?

Either way before you jump in and buy something think about how you will do backup. The backup job is not going to be easy or cheap.

I doubt you will be able to get away with just one "box" when you concider backup and performance needs

7. xlosltove777 thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna look up some reviews, from a quick glance it looks like a nice and affordable option.

I just need this for safe and organized storage of my iTunes library, speed is not really needed. The little video I handle can be done on my iMac or Macbook and then when Im done stored on whatever solution I choose.
    And while I do know that Drobo is more advanced than the Sans Digital solution the Sans digital does have a RAID controller and the sort, so its a bit more than a metal enclosure. I feel like I don't actually need the additional features that Drobo has over a traditional setup, I just feel like it might be simpler to manage.

8. xlosltove777 thread starter macrumors member

One question that I didn't find any definitive answer about the Buffalo RAID. Say one drive does die, I can use any 1TB drive that I can get and plop it right in. Or are they as specific as need to match manufacturers and/or model?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, I only have an brief knowledge of RAID, no first-hand experience.

9. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Seems like there are some issues with the Sans unit.

I'd do some more research on it.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could combine a non PM enclosure such as this one (uses 4x eSATA ports @ 1per drive) attached to a 4x eSATA port card (example) that's Mac Compatible. Please note the 4x cards are 4x lane PCIe, and the this and the enclosure are faster than a PM solution.

Fast and simple. :)